FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aventum II or III?

Post Date: 2015-03-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
trevor1030 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote trevor1030 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Aventum II or III?
    Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:44am
Hi guys i have been tossing around the idea of getting an aventum II for quite some time now, right when i decided to pull the trigger i was told a III is on the way. Should i wait for the third or go with the second? any downsides to either besides able to upgrade easier? Also, does anyone know how to get the crazy Digital Storm yellow liquid tubing i like that a lot but im not sure i want to do a crazy looking build, but something nobody has done on an aventum. Please let me know my current desktop is breaking!

Budget:
5500$

Expectations:
High end gaming rig

Usage:
Streaming and max settings. I am a benchmark junkie

Special Needs:
SLI and SSD

trevor1030 View Drop Down

Quote trevor1030 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 5:50am
UPDATE: After looking at other options such as the Hailstorm II seeing how i can get somewhat better performance for a few hundred dollars cheaper is that recommended? I love the way the Aventum looks but wouldn't it make more sense to go that route? Also is there any worth of the Chipset and GPU liquid cooled besides the looks, i feel like if i am going to have an Open look of anything it should be CPU Chipset and GPU or i should not do it. But anyways those are my questions and concerns, if anyone wants to help out please let me know!

Thanks.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Pure White Matte Finish with Black Stand
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Green Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: Bundle: T-Shirt (EXTRA LARGE) + Water Bottle + Carbon Fiber Pen + Leather Keychain
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by trevor1030 - 07 Mar 2015 at 5:52am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:25am
Hi trevor1030....     The main difference I've seen so far, and the info is somewhat sketchy right now, between the Aventum 2 and 3 is the Aventum 3 having  a modular wiring and water cooling setup.  That helps and makes easier any future upgrades and potential troubleshooting and swapping defective parts.  Other than that, the performance should be identical. 

Hailstorm 2 or Aventum2.....  For your build,  either will work just great.  For me, it's an aesthetic thing, where the extra money for the Aventum is if you want what nobody else has, it being a custom DS design.  Heck, for your setup, the Apollo 760T case or Velox will also work just fine.  If you go air cooling with the 980s, the Velox has great airflow.    With Velox,  I'd go cpu air cooler or a water setup.   The sealed units like H100i need to be mounted on the front because of hose length.  It works with Velox , but I personally like an open front for the fans.  Apollo and Hailstorm allow the sealed units to be mounted on the top. 

Water vs air...  Water cooling is a nice feature and sure does look great but not needed for your build.   Components under water do allow for higher overclocks if that's the way you want to go, and also can result in a quieter rig.   Water cooled video cards keep the fans on lower rpm under load .  Video cards tend to be the noisiest part of a rig when gaming gets heavy.  But, some of the newer cards do a great job of staying a lot cooler and quieter than  previous generations.

Basically, its an aesthetic thing for the cases for your build, water looks great and has advantages but not needed to keep things safe, and its really tough to pick a wrong combo anymore.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edit.... that's a nice rig you put together.  Any of the cases mentioned will work just fine.  Water or air is up to you and your wallet. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Mar 2015 at 6:27am
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 9:10am
I have the Velox rig with an CPU Cooler. and so far even playing my games on Max/Ultra Graphics settings has not stressed my SLI980s enough to really get them going. I do hear some fan noise low purr when there is no game running like now ( no music ecetera) but with a game running all I hear is the game and my CPU box is sitting on my desk less than an arms reach away.

The Velox like the aventum is a DS custom Case the only draw back is it is usually on backorder.. not sure if it is because it is really really in demand or they can only make so many at one time .. it just appears that DS is having a hard time keeping up with the demand at present.. Though to me it was well worth the wait.

The ultimate test for this unit will come this summer in how well it will keep my cards and rig cool through summer heat.

My Last Rig put out so much heat that I could heat the room with it in addition it sounded like an airplane taking off,, very noisy. This unit is even quitter than my Asus Laptop

However if you do have your heart set on a water cooled system I would tend to wait til the Aventum 3 is released given it makes use of water cooling easier and the case is set up specifically to be water cooled.

The choice is up to you.

I look at it this way the money you save from not water cooling the system can be put into a better CPU, More ram or even a new monitor

Then again I always have chosen Performance over Aesthetics, to me if the Rig looks great but fails to perform, it is not worth the money invested, But that is a personal choice.. some are willing to spend a little more to also get a Rig that not only performs well be looks great while doing it.

Though Maybe I am biased but I think My Velox is not only a great performer but it looks great too :)

Good luck in what ever you chose DS puts out a Well built quality Rig.. that you will be happy with for many years.
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 3:06am
keep in mind that for some reason X99 mobos across all vendors have reduced the VRM heat sinks coverage.  also, you will see cpu throttling with X99 at temps past 80C.  make sure, whether you go air or water that you have good cool air flow coverage over the chipset's VRM's.  a side benefit of a big air cooler on your cpu is that it will cool the VRM's as well as the cpu.  you also have the case fans.  an AIO cooler or custom loop water cooling setup should be particularly careful with adequate additional case fan placement to cover this area, and/or consider chipset coverage within the custom loop (impossible on an AIO cooler).

i'm also waiting on Aventum III ordering info.  the only thing i don't like about the custom case is that they seem (from the video and pictures that i saw) to use flexible tubing on parts of their custom loop even when the rest of the loop is acrylic.  i don't want any plasticizer issues in my loop (a concern with any flexible tubing) and i'm not fond of mixing acrylic and flex tubing.  i'm actually interested in the copper tubing option and am interested in seeing if that is an available option in their Aventum III and how they would go about integrating it into their preconfigured chassis. 

Edited by db188 - 17 Mar 2015 at 3:18am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 8:40am
Originally posted by db188

i'm also waiting on Aventum III ordering info.  the only thing i don't like about the custom case is that they seem (from the video and pictures that i saw) to use flexible tubing on parts of their custom loop even when the rest of the loop is acrylic.  i don't want any plasticizer issues in my loop (a concern with any flexible tubing) and i'm not fond of mixing acrylic and flex tubing.  i'm actually interested in the copper tubing option and am interested in seeing if that is an available option in their Aventum III and how they would go about integrating it into their preconfigured chassis.

According to this video, the copper tube will be available. However, it looks as though the rigid tubing loses the quick disconnects and modularity of the systems with flexible tubing.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 3:14pm
Rigid and copper piping loose the quick disconnect feature.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 3:39pm

thanks for linking this vid, it's the one i was referencing.  you can see from about 2:35 on that the white coolant computer has hardline acrylic tubing in the front of the case and what looks like flexible tubing on the rear side of the mobo tray.  it's this rear flex tubing i'm not thrilled about.  i assume they did it this way because of space, bends, etc.

i wonder if DS can confirm if this is the case?  everything else about this build is awesome!  i assume that if i go with copper there won't be any flex tubing in the loop, but i was waffling on whether acrylic or copper would be the best option for me. 

Edited by db188 - 17 Mar 2015 at 3:39pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 4:25pm
I can't say for sure, a call to DS would answer it, but the rigid tubing, copper or acrylic, is mainly for esthetic, with flexible tubing being used behind the rads so they can he swung out for install and maintenance.
 Post Reply Post Reply