aventum/hailstorm - no budget ultimate gaming rig

Post Date: 2014-07-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cheebamaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cheebamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: aventum/hailstorm - no budget ultimate gaming rig
    Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 4:43am
Hey all,

I'm looking to build a gaming rig designed to be able to do lots of post processing affects. I really enjoy games like Skyrim, and while it's easy to max this out, post processing eats up a lot of vram and I'm looking for a setup that can handle even the most strenuous games with post processing/mods.

I plan on trying to run a 2560x1440 display. Suggestions on IPS monitors with relatively low latency/accurate colors?

Also, I see different water cooling options that can get into some crazy prices, however, I don't understand the benefit of paying extra for top of the line cooling if DS only will offer up to 4.8ghz even on the most insanely custom cooled system. Alex, is it possible if using the best cooling system DS offers to special request a 5ghz+ stable OC or is that not even possible with the current intel processors.

I noticed that there is a new Titan Black - does this have good OC capabilities when compared to the 780 ti? I'm mainly looking at the titan because of the high vram. I also see a titan that claims 12gb but I'm assuming its 2 single 6gb chips that will not stack vram is this correct?

Feel free to post your builds/thoughts. Maximum performance with heavy mods is my goal. I don't want to cap the vram out on a 2560x1440 display so will go to the 1920 display if this is a better choice.

I also want to raid 0 on two ssd's with a 1tb hdd

Thanks!
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 7:18am
My DS Monster rocks, and only paid $6,000.00 for it. I have 2 GTX780s running, and SLI software was a pain the after three days. That was until I found 2 work arounds for that problem. DS had nothing to do with the SLI problem, as in they were not at fault.
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:09am
The 780 Ti works better for most games, but at 1440p the additional memory could help. Here is a good state of the GPU market that is worth the time to read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8225/best-video-cards-june-2014
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:50am
The performance difference from even 4.6GHz to 5.0GHz is very, very small. Especially for games. When you're at 4.5GHz or higher, you'll get more performance gains from faster memory speeds (2133GHz+) and faster graphic cards.

We don't offer 5.0GHz because it's not possible if you want a fully stable system. It would be a challenge for us to try to find a "golden" CPU after cherry picking a CPU. We could try to hype the fact that we can get you 5.0GHz but we would not be 100% confident in the long-term stability of the system.

In regards to cooling systems, they're not just for getting a high overclock, while they usually will provide lower load temps, it's also more for aesthetic reasons as well.

Hope this helps answer your questions!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Alex

...but we would not be 100% confident in the long-term stability of the system.

And ^that^, ladies and gentlemen, is what sets DS apart from the herd of builders out there.

Edited by Snaike - 11 Jul 2014 at 11:57am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:06pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cheebamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:26pm
okay thanks for the speedy response Alex. I just submitted the order. It's a huge amount to drop on a pc and I would love to use this thread for pics/updates as the process goes along. It would be great to hit that 4.8ghz mark with this setup so if at all possible it would be much appreciated!

Also, can I purchase a priority build time? There was no option during checkout.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish with Red Stand
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Storage Set 1: 2x SSD (256GB Samsung 840 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR (Ultimate in Audio Playback and Creation)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Copper: Digital Storm Copper Pipe Custom Cooling System (Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: APC 1500VA Uninterrupted Power & Surge Conditioner - BR1500G
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 (Fully Mechanical Gaming Keyboard) (Black Brushed Aluminum Finish)
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Sub-Total: $11,105.00
Tax: $0.00
S&H: Freight Delivery $432.22
Grand Total: $11,537.22
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:29pm
Awesome! Welcome to the family of awesome customers. Feel free to email me at any time for updates: [email protected]

We'll do our best to get you the highest overclock possible.

Priority service is usually something we don't offer for high-end complex builds.

Edited by Alex - 11 Jul 2014 at 12:29pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cheebamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:31pm
Thanks, this is the second DS rig I will own. Retiring my old x58 setup! First one is still running strong even after 4 years
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 12:33pm
Love to hear about repeat customers AND x58 rigs still running strong. Strong
nskojo View Drop Down

Quote nskojo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 7:42pm
That is going to be a MONSTER..congrats !
 Post Reply Post Reply