Asus Strix 980 SLI Power

Post Date: 2015-01-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Asus Strix 980 SLI Power
    Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 9:00am

Anyone running 980 SLI with high overclocks who knows how much power they are drawing and what power supply?

Looks like it uses less power than the 780, but wondered if a person could overclock to 1300-1400 Mhz with a 850 watt PSU?
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 10:42am
You definitely should be able to as long as the GPU's themselves are able to achieve those clocks.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 2:07pm

I was pulling 750 watt from dual 780s not overclocked, and overclocking i7-3770k ( voltage may not have been much different than stock on the CPU.)

With that in mind I upped the power supply on my order, but I am not saying it's needed.

My guess is the 980s draw less power than the 780s, but not sure

Pretty sure Haswell 6 core CPUs pull more power than the i7-3770 did. Not sure about 4 core
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 Post Reply Post Reply