Post Date: 2007-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pineapplerum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Anything non-violent?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 2:23pm
Ouch I'm not into really violent games with guns and heads flying off and people squirting blood everywhere.  Do you know of any good RPGs that don't involve the military, combat or anything too violent?  I'm really new at this so the game can't be too hard.  Is this asking too much from a group of hard core gamers? Smile  Thanks in advance.
Solo View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 3:14pm
You could try http://www.atitd.com/

A Tale in the Desert III.
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 3:20pm
The Longest Journey, gamespot gave it 9.3 out of 10.

The Longest Journey is one of the best adventure games in years. Like a hybrid of classic Sierra and LucasArts games, it tells a great fairy tale filled with characters that you'll remember long after the game is over.

The Longest Journey is about a young woman named April Ryan, a visual-arts student who lives at a boarding house in a small, bohemian area in the city of Newport called Venice. While these locations suggest Southern California, the geographical setting of The Longest Journey is never stated; it's just a large city of the future. And while The Longest Journey's setting may be the stuff of science-fiction clichés, the game never resorts to the typical dystopian predictions. In fact, Newport seems very much like a modern metropolis, only with flying cars.

April has some problems. She's a runaway who has left home because of her father, though the exact reasons she left are never stated. She has a huge art project due, and she can't seem to get started. The guy who lives across the hall is a crude, arrogant jackass who won't leave her alone. And most importantly, she's being plagued by strange dreams that seem a little too real.

The game begins in one of these dreams. April is standing high on a cliff, overlooking a strange land. On this cliff, she meets a dragon and a talking tree, and she is visited by a strange, malevolent mass that sends her careening over the edge - and back into her bed.

When she awakes, you begin to learn about her life. If there's one problem with The Longest Journey, it's that the opening is a bit slow. It's loaded with expository dialogue about April, her friends, and the city. While this isn't a problem in and of itself, it seems strange that there is so much exposition right off the bat, when you've yet to meet any of the characters or visit the places mentioned. These conversations would have been much more interesting had they come a bit later in the game, once you've actually familiarized yourself with the places and characters you learn about.

During the first chapters of the game, you explore April's life. You meet her friends, you go to her school and to her job at a local coffee house. It seems like boring stuff, but it accomplishes an important task - as you take part in her routine, you begin to really care about her and her comrades. Her friends all have the hallmark concerns of people making the transition to adulthood - school problems, turbulent love lives, and bad jobs.

Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 3:23pm
Also, not really an RPG but I found it incredibly addicting and fun...

Glory of the Roman Empire.

Haemimont's game is first out of the gate with a very traditional design that's relatively free of both complexity and challenge. Built on the same principles as games like SimCity, Settlers and the Impressions city games, Glory of the Roman Empire tasks players with a variety of city planning missions throughout the Empire, from Cartagena to Londonium, from Cologne to Syracuse.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2007 at 11:32pm
Thanks Solo, you're great.  Hug  I really appreciate the time you took to share that with me.  I'm going to check them out now. 
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2007 at 10:27pm
Let me know if they are what you are looking for please...
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2007 at 2:06pm
Yes.  I think.  I won't know for sure until I actually play the games.  I got the game "The Longest Journey" but I don't have the computer yet. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm looking for.  It looks like it from what I've researched online about it, anyway.
Thanks again.  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply