FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know how to block USB drive data theft?

Post Date: 2012-03-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Anyone know how to block USB drive data theft?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 12:11pm
So these days most of us keep a lot of private data on our computer such as all of our tax returns and sensitive documents like that.  Something that crossed my mind is how do people prevent people from taking one of their little USB thumb drives, connecting it into someones computer and transfering the entire "My Documents" folder onto it?  Does anyone know of any software that will require a password to be entered EVERYTIME a jump drive or external drive is connected before it can transfer any info?
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
Some flash drives come with security software loaded.   If not software like USB Secure and others can be installed, some freeware and some you pay for.   A quick google search will bring it up.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 10:49am

The best way to do that is to use a folder encryption software and place your sensitive data inside that. That way, no one can access that folder unless they know the password, you can check out TrueCrypt for that.

You could also use the built-in Windows 7 feature (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Encrypt-or-decrypt-a-folder-or-file) and just make sure you sign off your user before you get off the computer.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:48am
thanks guys, I saw a software, I think its called USB Block, that actually requires the person to enter a password anytime they connect a USB thumb drive or external drive to the computer.  So before they can transfer any files onto the drive, they have to enter this password.  This is precisely what I would be interested in but that particular software is a little more expensive than I expected so I was just curious to know if anyone had any other ideas in mind.  I typically dont sign off from my computer and it stays on majority of the time so I would prefer to have some type of "BLOCK" on my USB ports that would just require a password to be entered before transferring any type of data. 
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
 Post Reply Post Reply