Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: AMD vs the i7 line (updated March 6)
    Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:59pm

first off, HELLO AGAIN!! i still ahve my 1.86 2 core, 2 gigs and 9800gx2 so, noting new.

now, the main point.

as of right now, AMD is way behind intel. the tick tock has worked for intel while amd has used a tick tock tock tock tock half a tock style. but, hopefully, in early q1 q2 of 2011 we will see bulldozer.

now, im suprised i have not seen any dozer topis on here because im perty sure its going to beat the 4 core i7's and the 6 cores. the 8 core sandy bridge will be a chalange.

now, for you intel only people, heres why you should be worring about dozer.

the new module thing amd is doing allows for a more efficient hyper threading. by using HT intel has boosted overall performance, but if one thread is using its recources badly, that means the other thread will also be a hog. AMD's aproce has 2 real cores, and decated recources. so if one does not want to use recources right, the other thread will be fine. also they get a better over all performance per thread. its like a 4 piston engine making 400 horse vs a 8 piston making 400 horse power. the 4 piston (AMD) is going to use less gas, and make less heat but still do the same power or beter.

also, there was a 20 questions on the AMD website, i asked the question of a dozer core would beat a phenom 2 core. he siad yes, but could not give out the exact %-age of how mutch.

theres more, like dual floating point units (two 256 combined 512) or its two 128 combined 256.

but, look into dozer and see what you think. i think if they can fit 5 or 6 modules (one mod is 2 cores) they cna take on sandy bridge. but i dont know how mutch empty space they have to work with in there new AM3+ die.

also, am3 works in am3+ socket.      if you put a am3+ cpu in am3 it will not work.

anyway, laters!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
march 6 update...

not sayign that dozer is going to do that performance...or that 3 tests are fair
what i am "angry" abotu is how they say that hyper-threading on a 1 GHZ quad core should equal 8 Ghz single core performance....while its more like 5 or Ghz (jsut a estimate)

and everyone saying dozer needs 8 cores to beat intels four.......but intel ahs 8 threads.......AKA eight cores......aka the same number as AMD....

8 = 4 real + 4 fake.

mabey if intel improves their SoftWare HT to equal a 1/1 ratio then peopel wont be so counfused. thsi is AMD's take on HT...and in my opnion its a better way!

Edited by kainhall - 07 Mar 2011 at 12:38am
steam friends is kainhall
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 6:09pm
so the people that bought an I7 in 2008 will have the same performance as the top dog AMD in 2011?? LOL
 that speaks so many volumes for Intel, it is not even funny.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 7:39pm
lol
just in time for intels new chipset too!
back to 2nd... well... remaining at 2nd ftw!
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 8:39pm
no your not getting me, i said that teh dozer will beat every i7 out right now.
you have to remember, it takes a phenom2 x6 to get a 920 i7. now AMD is beating all that with ease.

and it might be better then what i think. we still dont know how many performance points one core has.

sandy bridge, thats a chalange, but it cound face stomp that also.

read my first post again, specificly this line.........

as of right now, AMD is way behind intel. the tick tock has worked for intel while amd has used a tick tock tock tock tock half a tock style. but, hopefully, in early q1 q2 of 2011 we will see bulldozer.

now, im suprised i have not seen any dozer topis on here because im perty sure its going to beat the 4 core i7's and the 6 cores. the 8 core sandy bridge will be a chalange.

i hope i made this fan boy proff now. i even highlighted sh*t from above so you can see taht you read my post wrong.

AGAIN, teh dozer will beat teh 2008 i7s, and the 2009 i7's andm the 2010 i7's unless the 8 core (16 thread) i7 comes out in 2010.

AGAIN, dozer will beat all i7's that are out right now.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 9:55pm
we went over this a million times, post up your 6 core benches, I have posted up mine. lol and they beat the 6 core, with my 4 core, by a long shot.
Bull dozer won't be out till Q2 or Q3 of 2011 so it can't beat anything.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:51am
one, i bought a 1977 chevy pickup, it needs a new tranny thats 600 bucks (getting a deal for 100 so....) the truck it self was 500.

two, i cant buy a 6 core anything.

andthe 920 and the x6 are equal. if you have a am 2/3 system get the x6, intel system get the 920.

and the scores of them averaged are perty mutch the same. the 920 beats the x6 in specific tests, but the 920 fails at specific tests.

and honistly, waht do you think dozer will do, rember when AMD was beating intel in every single catagory...... athlon 64 ?????? that was AMD's tick. intel has had many ticks and many tocks.

amd, has used the athlon 64 core untell dozer comes out, jsut made changes, but no major improvments.

also, intel jsut got done paying amd 1.2 billion.... i think for stealing there ideas, so, intel is ahed becaue amd had to redo everything intel stole, why make a corbon copy?????? (only true if intel did steal the plans, i DO KNOW they paided amd 1.2 bill)

anyway, we will see. i was right on the gtx 480 fail so, try to stop being bias. and look stat to stat. please, go to teh FORBIDEN amd.com.

all of my computers have intel in them (intel 2 core at 1.86 90nm), but, im really interested in dozer. and yes, im a little biased to amd and ATI. nvidia f**kled me in the butt 2 times. 9800gt that did not work, got to 120C before i spent what the card was worth to get a cooling sulition.

and the 9800gx2, well at least tehy did not rebrand it, but it still overheats if in not carefull. room temp-75
last dusted with high pressure air, yesterday
last over heat, 40 min ago playing civ5 on max becasue i like to have 5 FPS.........

im not saying your a rich dude that can blow 7 grand onm a computer, but you can. i work washing dishes, go to school every week day, and have to pay for my own gas. you know how mutch gas a 305 V8 with a "slipping out of 3rd" TH 350 uses??? about 2 times as mutcch as it should. gas in montana... 2.94 a gallon.

and i stoped working, the fort peck hotel (build in the 30's) closes in the winter becaseu there is no people to rent rooms. so, im perty shoprt on money.

i would love to have a 6 core i7, 3 or 4 408's, and 12 gigs of ram all water cooled, but i simply cant.

idk if i just boared you with my life story, but all the sh*t in hte computer was used, or a friend bought it. i live in a town of 3000 people. theres about 3 "tech heads" in the whole town. theres not that many used parts.

AMD was been the king of price to performance. selling CPU's for 15 bucks!!! i would pay money to see intel do that. and i hope amd does pull off dozer, kicks everything ass and sells it for a low price, so low that intel cant compete.

by the way, teh way intel does things, the more power, the price and heat and power usage goes up exponitly. AMDs approce scales almsot lineraly......

q2 q3??? u sure, last i heard it was q1 q2. hell, form hwat i have heard (probly not relible) they were ahead of schudal. i would love to get my hands on a test chip,  especally when it over clocks  like my 305 V8 runs, really smooth and easy!!!!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:12am

f you need work, just look to the East a little bit, from Sidney on into the N Dakota Border, way more jobs than people, and good paying jobs.

Gas this morning was $2.69  Hahaha
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 6:53pm
for the last time, AMD has better value for stock clocks, and are overall better value for standard computing and office stations. Intels have better potential and can be pushed to much higher states of performance for those who game and are enthusiasts.

At a custom computing firm, we don't talk about stock clocks.

additionally, the original reason why HT was so hyped up was because reading over the goal of it, HT was designed to double load the proc. Now, what kind of company would actually endorse double loading the proc, unless they knew for certain that they're proc was actually capable of that much potential?

Sandy Bridge is due out in a few months, the mainstream versions are due out after half of 2011. What's the point of really discussing the potential of AMD beating out Intel now, lol. It's like nVidia and ATI, nVidia's got a heck of a lot catching up to do on their 5 series, if they even have a 5 series, ATI's 6'th gen is already eager to pop out. Not necessarily with an advantage still over nVidia GPUs, but generation are generations, nVidia needs to kick up the evo's.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
sjjohns23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sjjohns23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:27am
Justin,

I applaud you for taking the time to read Kain's posts and actually respond.  Reading them actually makes me weep for the American school system. 

Kain,

Please just post your English teacher's phone number so I can call him/her and find out what they teach in Montana schools.  Thanks.

:)
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:23am
Originally posted by sjjohns23

Justin,

I applaud you for taking the time to read Kain's posts and actually respond.  Reading them actually makes me weep for the American school system. 

Kain,

Please just post your English teacher's phone number so I can call him/her and find out what they teach in Montana schools.  Thanks.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM
Liq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Liq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 7:42pm
 My i7 machine plays every single game I want at the highest possible settings. I really don't care nor worry about any upcoming chips from either company to be honest. I'll upgrade again in 2, maybe 3 years.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 6:04pm
actually, montana has some of the best schools in the nation.

and intel was right. they can double tehre load on a cpu BUT. it does not double it.

its more like 120% becasue of the redundencys that happen with software basised HT.

and i have a job, but, sence we have more cows then people, the hotel closes in the winter (no tourism....it gets f**king cold up here!) its 4:00 and its 57 F!!! and, with school not a lot of jobs hire kids to work arroudn school hours. but, i do go out to the shop, work on cars ETC and get some money.

and have i ever clamed to be good at spelling? or grammer? no, infact i admit to teh fact i cant spell! i went to 3 different schools in 3 years, every one of tehn in different stages. and im dislitic so that helps....

but, AMD is behind. i know this. but dozer is a major jump from phenom 2. A HIGE jump. its like discovering the element U to teh nuke in one week.

and AMD basicly took a 50 bucks dump on there prices. you can get a x6 for 250 bukcs. idk if intel droped there prices,....... probly not! so AMD cna sell them for less then intel. that measn the performance per doller is higher on the amd side.

your not getting the most powerfull, hell, even a 2 core at 3 ghz will own any game.

Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 11:28am
Man, being dislitic sucks.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 3:54pm
we're getting the most powerful processors with intel. yes we are. of course, it won't show in games. games rely heavily on graphics power as well as cpu power. so yes, you really wouldn't care with a AMD 3.4Ghz 965 vs. a 4.5Ghz i7 920. However, when you go to synthetic benchmarks, you start seeing better performance over AMD. Don't think that's practical? Well, the other bonus of having better processor potential is video and graphics rendering. Most are very CPU intensive, and GPU acceleration isn't really that supported yet with all models.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 4:43pm
LOL what?
take 2 CPU's of different architecture, set to the same speed, and game FPS will vary. Sometimes a lot, 20%-40%
Fallout 3 with an AMD at 3.4 and an Intel 920 at 4.5Ghz will show 50% better FPS, assuming you have the GPU power.
Some games need very little CPU, some will need more than a 980x at 4Ghz, too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 6:43pm
blegh, forgot that most key components lagging behind another key component will usually create a bottleneck. my bad, lol.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 9:42am
kainhall if you ever get to Billings, shoot me an E-mail, I always have lots of spare parts around, prolly can piece together an Intel build for you, won't be much, but a heck of a lot better than the one you are running now. Big%20Smile
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 11:31am
you live in billings.....

ps took a break for the forms for school reasons and hunting.

but you live in billings?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 11:40am
yep Big%20Smile
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 11:44am
that makes it funner to argue with you. now if only you had steam?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 1:06pm
steam engine? steam cleaner? Big%20Smile
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 8:27pm
i take that as a no. steam, the game provider.

like direct to drive, but better....

but, its developed my valve (half life2 makers).

steampowered.com

but, bulldozer, WILL challange the i7s better then waht we have now. (or why make it right?)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:01pm
LOL
I was trying to make a joke. Oops
I have steam, even in Billings. Big%20Smile
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 11:23am
well add me, kainhall.

billings has better internet then glasgow. i had to beg nemont to give me 6 mega bit.

you know you computer is slwo when its performance depends on internet speed......

Edited by kainhall - 11 Nov 2010 at 11:24am
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by !ender_

lol
just in time for intels new chipset too!
back to 2nd... well... remaining at 2nd ftw!

amd is also realeasing there new chip set as well.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:50pm
omg are you back! lol amd fanboy i remember u said bulldozer would be like 100x better than intels current chips or something a while ago
Steam:pcmaster160
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 2:05pm
just waiting for kainhall to come to Billings so we can build him an Intel rig. Hahaha
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 5:15pm
this thred has recived mroe attention then expected. sadly i can not come to billings. and i said dozer will be better tehn the i7 4 cores. mabey teh 6 cores......MABEY.

anyway, i made a psot about the momory controllers in AMD vs intel chips.

it got no attention.......... what do you think. its a bit old sence i got busy with school and had not a lot of time.

and justin, steam man.... add me. its the same user naem i have on this form, kainhall. that way we can BS for hours!!!

merry X-mas or waht ever your clebrate to be politiclay correct!!

Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 10:25pm
Meh amd now is more for your budget builds then anything. Seems to me like now days there always 6 months behind intel. I do remember a time when amd was like the flagship processor for gaming rigs. However that was light years ago, so its what ever floats your boat...  
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Logitech G19, Razer Mamba
Wireless Astro A40's
Bose Companion 5 Speakers
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:39pm
yes, intel is ahead of AMD atleast with the things we see now.

but, i think a lot of people dont relize that the phenom x6 is the SAME arc as the k5 or k6 with small tweeks. the dozer is a new arc.

if i rember right, k5 was athlon 64, and athlon beat the P4 by  a lot. then intel made a new arc (core 2) and beat AMD. AMD let intel run with it and that was a bad choice, but they did buy ATi and that was a DAMN good choise, especally after the 480.

and you cant beat a 6 core for 200 bucks, especally knowing that you can put a phenom in your AM3+ untell bulldozer get to a right price.

if dozer can take down the 4/6 cores of intel, intel will be hurt bad. especally if thay can price them lower then compeating chips.

as for sandy bridge, the only thing i have heard is it was not the HUGE jump in performance people were expecting. hell, is sandy a  8 core? i have fallen out of the loop!

and a promising thing has happened. AMD is bringing back the FX marking style. FX has not been used sence when intel took the crown. so theres a few out comes.....

1.intel gets beat for a year, then goes back and forth every 6 months

2.dozer is a major fail and we keep the same ratio with AMDs GPU side pulling most of the weight.

3. dozer ties top end sandy bridge, price war soon follows, everyone gets nice cheap chips and we dont see a break away till ddr4 memory is out.

by the way, samsung made the first ddr4 memory, be on the watch!

having a 775 intel computer now, and the HELL im putting that core 2 threw, i know that intel is a major threat. however, my friends athlon beats/ties me on loading competions of games (men of war loading times are HIGHLY baised on HDD speed and CPU speed, we both have fairly new HDDs. i mod that game, the more script code, the more the CPU has to examin the code, script makes up about 90% of the loading time.)

hopefully #3 happens, as amd would be jsut as good and intel, or if you like intel, intle would be jsut as good as AMD. and the price war would benifet EVERYONE, as you cant have a computer without a CPU!

you cant hold power for long, song dynasty, nappy in france, hitler, even the USA will be beat by someone (germany?) at some time.

remember the days when CPUs got faster every other week, and intel/amd released new cpus every week it seemed? thows MIGHT happen again.

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 8:20pm
this guy, lol
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:07pm

Turkish tech site Donanim Haber got its hands on a leaked AMD document that claims the 8-core Bulldozer will be up to 50 percent faster than Intel's old Core i7-950 and the company's recently released Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition.

but, most likly people will say its fake on here becasue there mad taht amd could one up them!!!!!!

all joking asside, it was only recived by one guy, of whom i have no clue on relibility on, and he could jsut be making it up. who knows for sure.

BUT, if true, the question is...... whats 50 precent faster then the intel 950?

its defenatly an improvment over the phenom 2 chips.......DUH whay make a new chip if its slower then what you have! and thread to thread AMD is not that far behind. combine this with higher clock rates (rummored to be 3.5 GHZ or higher) and AMD might jsut have a recipe for compeating with intel!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:33pm
think your bulldozer will do this?Hahaha

rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:28am
Justin, how are you liking the 2600K chip?
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus from Gladiator
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 11:18am

the CPU seems great, the one I have, seems to be very average, but that is just how it goes sometimes. lol

The motherboard is ok, but, the BIOS is very poor, can't adjust anything really, hoping for some BIOS revisions that will allow more tuning, but also I bought a lower end board, and they, in general don't have the tuning capabilities of the better boards.  
It is crazy how easy 5.0Ghz prime stable is, but for benchmarking, the lack of tuning makes it no fun.. so for the average consumer I feel it will be a great success, fairly cheap, very powerful, and very simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>