FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AMD vs the i7 line (updated March 6)

Post Date: 2011-01-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rholyrag View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 4:57am
Thanks, good to know!  As always, appreciate your input on new tech.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus from Gladiator
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:30pm
hopefully it will do better.

intel is 28mn right?
amd is goign to be 32 nm? i cant remember

its not a big gap. 45 to 32 is the same as 32 to 28.

amds will run a little hotter, but should be able to hit that clock speed. with teh 150% faster then the 950 (by the way, thats faster then the 980X!!!)

need a good mobo/cooling/psu/ everything jsut liek intel does. mabey just a 5 doller better fan for the same results!

and with the recall and all, intel has work to do!
steam friends is kainhall
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:10pm
lol 950 and 980 are old news man, "AMD alwys a step behind"
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:49pm
so are you saying that amd will beat the new haswell chips that are coming out soon that will up dual cores to quad cores and quad cores to 8x cores (16 hyperthreads!)
Steam:pcmaster160
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:43pm
time to start my inner TROLL!!!!!!!!!

maxyme. your saying a dual core will be a squad core.........so my 1.86 conroe i have in thsi thing right now will be a quad core???????

and if i had a core 2 quad it would be a 8 core? buts its 16 threads....... the math does nto make sence.

i never said it would beat teh haswell chips!!!!!! i said it beats the 980x.

mabey you mean its 3 threads on every core? a 4 core would be a 12 thread monsted that would be boged down by not having enough recources for it. mabey it will be 4 threads a core. that would really mess it up unless in had 2 FPU's and like 40 megs of casche on the chip.

and amd IS more then a step behind,  but they are using athlon 64 ARCH with minor tweeks. k7 and k10.5 is the same basic design. if intel stuck with pentium???????????

so, they get some money together from the gpu sales (step ahead TROLLOLOL) and build the dozer.

lets say they are only 10% behind......... THATS DAMN GOOD!!!!!!! wwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy closer then it is right now. and tehy can most likly make a 6/7/8 module dozer what woudl top it becasue the chip it self has mutch room left. i think there ware planing a 8 mod chip for desktops using a revised version of the dozer chip!

plus, intel ahs to recall some of their chipsets becasue it kilsl your HDD and sata performance......

im tired, a bit drunk and cold. the mod is going to be SO pissed lol. i will clean it up tommorow if i get a chance....to tired right now
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

lol 950 and 980 are old news man, "AMD alwys a step behind"
meh, not really...... it still puts dozer in a section of "how fast". i can say a i7 is fater then my core 2 duo....... my core 2 is OLD OLD ODL news..... i should shoot it!

still, its faster then it. so if some noob wanted a core 2 because it sounds cool or an i7...... you cna simply say

i7 is cheaper and faster then a core 2.

did intels stock fall under the nearest doller (32?) and did amds go above 8? if so SCORE 1 for the ONLY AMD person on this form...... i liek to argue and dissagree otherwise why stick arround
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:00am
i'm just pointing out you are comparing new amd tech to old intel tech. comparing new amd to new intel is no comparison at all intel has it all the way.
and srry i'm lazy and didn't read much but as i thnk i have said before the athlon is complete sh*t. my pentium 4 computer is better than it and it has a single core! i boot up and both cores are at 100% you can't even tell there are 2 cores bc they both are always maxed out.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:18am
comparing a CPU that is not even out yet, to a 3 year old platform?? come on man, that is just silly.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:49pm
yet you compare phenom 2 to i7 all the time.

and sence phenom 2 is basicly a tweeked athlon.... its even worse what your doing.

and im not compairing it..... im presenting info.

that web site said 150% more horse pwoer.

if i compare my 77 chevys tourque to a 2008 dogde im still putting my 77 in a range of performance. aka its better then a 2008 dodge but not as powerfull as a 2010 chevy.

and athlon was a great chip when it was new and intel had the celrons and pentiums out. they beat it yes. DUH!!! but the chip has remained the same with ninor tweeks here and there.

as in a smaller cashe module is desinged, so they put 2 of the smaller ones in there and it now has 2x the cashe. i dont know if tahts a real life example, but you get the idea.

and can you give me some info on this haswell chips? sounds cool, but i even have better idea organization adn thought precess then that.

kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by maxyme

i'm just pointing out you are comparing new amd tech to old intel tech. comparing new amd to new intel is no comparison at all intel has it all the way.
and srry i'm lazy and didn't read much but as i thnk i have said before the athlon is complete sh*t. my pentium 4 computer is better than it and it has a single core! i boot up and both cores are at 100% you can't even tell there are 2 cores bc they both are always maxed out.

you have the new 2 core model of the pentium, it came out in like 2009 (or is that the 2 core celerons???)  im talking the OLD OLD OLD OLD 2004 threw 2006 pentiums. AMD dominated the pentiums untel intel did some thing and made core 2. i think they had a pentium that beat it as well. amd continued with the same ARCH and still did good untel the higher up core 2s and i7s. a 6 core phenom 2 gives a i7920/930 a run for its money.

justin is goign to rage on that last fact.....
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by kainhall

yet you compare phenom 2 to i7 all the time.

and sence phenom 2 is basicly a tweeked athlon.... its even worse what your doing.

and im not compairing it..... im presenting info.

that web site said 150% more horse pwoer.

if i compare my 77 chevys tourque to a 2008 dogde im still putting my 77 in a range of performance. aka its better then a 2008 dodge but not as powerfull as a 2010 chevy.

and athlon was a great chip when it was new and intel had the celrons and pentiums out. they beat it yes. DUH!!! but the chip has remained the same with ninor tweeks here and there.

as in a smaller cashe module is desinged, so they put 2 of the smaller ones in there and it now has 2x the cashe. i dont know if tahts a real life example, but you get the idea.

and can you give me some info on this haswell chips? sounds cool, but i even have better idea organization adn thought precess then that.

Then phenom II is the current CPU from AMD, so of course we compare it to the current Intel.
And if your 77 Chevy has as much torque as my 2008 Dodge did I would hand you $5.000.00 right now.    lol what chevy SB do you have that has over 1,000 Lbs of torque??
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:18pm
here's some more info about haswell (actually the new sandy bridge high end chips) read the second post. I was a bit confused but got it now. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=13565
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 2:44pm
i got a 400 SBC with HEI ingition, permormance exhaust, and carter quardajet card.....makes onyl 200 Bhp but arround 400 foot pounds of tourque.

1000 FP of tourque??? what did that have in it?

and i was jsut making a quick example. i thought it had a 305 SBC untel i tryed to but a block heater in it becasue of the -56 weather we had..... truns out its teh stock 400!!

and both methoids of comparison are correct.... but there is nothing clsoe to what amd has out now to a 980X. i dont keep up on intel tech, i went to the AMD side after i built my moms 955 and droped the heatsink and fan ontop of the cpu and she still worked. i sh*t a brick!

im not going to explane my personial choise...becasue its not the same from person to person. justin is a hard headed, thick skulled idiot that cant see why AMD owns..... but then i might be a babiling idiot that blows things otu of preportion.....

im simply presenting info (true or not...i try to warm if its not confirmed fact) on the dozer cores.

justin, you have to admit....your probly excited for dozer. even if you will NEVER buy a AMD cpu even if amd is cheaper and faster.... becasue of the price war of the high end ships that will happen.

by the way, amd jsut took another dump on hte phenom 2 line. cuting prices by like 10 o 20 bucks. not a lot, but still helps! and amd can do that becasue intel cant compeat in that price/performance range becasue tehy went high end.

amd fans hope intel went HI-power and left it self on a thin weak support structure. and intel fans......well, they are intel fansHahaha

Edited by kainhall - 04 Feb 2011 at 2:44pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:23pm
does not take much for mods to get a ton of torque out of a Cummins. Hahaha
I always buy the faster CPU platform, that is why no AMD for a lot of years now.
dodgers2213 View Drop Down

Quote dodgers2213 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:37pm
this "discussion" is highly entertaining
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:17am
Kain what will happen to your AMD when Dell buys them out LOL
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=13718

Edited by gametamer - 16 Feb 2011 at 12:18am
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:20am
keep in mind that its not a fact but a rumor
gametamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gametamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:54am
Yes but if it turns out true than things could go downhill for AMD based on Dell's track record
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 8:35am
doubt it will happen, AMD has so much debt, it would make no sense.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 2:53pm
amd has debt??? really, there stock has been increasing ever sence dozer was anounced.

ATI/AMD grafx jsut completly rapeing the GPU market, they HAD to make money.

(590 fails by the way..same performance, yet late...may be louder...water cool that bitch...you bought a 590/6990!!! you have moeny for water cooling lol!)

the lowest cost for a 6 core CPU ever?

bulldozer working on AM3 or AM3+ mobos and phenom 2 working on AM2+/AM3/AM3+.....try that with your old LGA 775 socket!!!!

Nvidia rumored to start makign CPU's (will hurt both companys...)

idk, AMD seems perty stront, and gettign stronger by the day!

gas vs desel, thats not fair...althow my dads 350 smoked a turbo desel in a mud bog race!!! i was driving!!!
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 3:26pm
to bad that 6 core amd cpu still gets raped by a 4 core hyper threaded intel part
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 4:22pm
yes, AMD has massive, massive debt.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 2:20am
meh, find me some figures/webpages.

and, its 6 core/6 thread

vs 4 core/8 thread

IF AMD used hyperthreading, then intel would be in a sticky spot.

why they dont....honistly, i dont know. they should have does that for the phenom 2s and then used the "bulldozer baised HARDWARE hyper-threading...for bulldozer.

hardware HT (amds aproach) > software HT.  and the model is not that mutch bigger then a phenom 2 core. it was like 50% mroe spaced used, but 33% more power. and that was WAY WAY WAY back when when i heard that. i can only imagen that they uped that.

you intel people have to admit, bulldozer is a threat! they are keeping the info so damn tight.

and justin. i got a problem with my GPU (its a Me built, not a DS system). im going to psot in the heat section or whatever. help me out in there
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 2:23am
everything ive read has said bulldozer was suppose to be comparable to socket 1356. With sandy bridge on the market now i dunno how its gonna do but i guess time will tell.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by kainhall

you intel people have to admit, bulldozer is a threat! they are keeping the info so damn tight.

I admit that I would like very much so for it to be so, I would love to see AMD CPUs be competitive with Intel again, it would drive prices down.

But in practice, I don't know, I'm not really holding my breath on Bulldozer. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it performs, no sense in ranting and raving about something that isn't released yet and we don't even know how it will perform.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
ironmb View Drop Down

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 9:12am
How is this guy even implying that bulldozer will beat anything? its not even out yet. His whole argument is based on theory.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 12:51pm
the only theroy is have is from things i hae read on line...rumors or facts.

with out a thery, you cant be right or wrong.
with out theory.....90% of the world would not make sence.

and i just read a thing that siad dozer would destroy everything, in every catoragory besides like 2. (gamming, and multi meadia, and winRAR tests were in AMD's favor, thats all i care about!) but, at the end it said happy april fools day.....but its not april 1st.

but...IF TRUE, intel cores can only do 4 instructions per cycle, per core (correct me if im wrong please)

while, dozer can do 12 /cycle/core....and if dozer runs at a higher clock speed (3.2 + stock, with turbo 2.0 clocking it to close to 3.6 /3.7 ghz..on all cores!) and has enough cashe ammount (it siad it would have a small sasch line sandy bridge...no a l1/l2/l3 but some other thing...) dozer should, by all reason, beat sandy bridge.

when intel i7 was comming out (about when i became interested in computer harware) thsi form was FULL of "OMG RAPE AMD LOL TROLL" type threads, where people jumped on rumors, presented them as facts, and soem came true, some did not!

i hope when i did show mabey, mabey not facts i told you so. and, i was spot on with my phenom x6 theroy....tieing the 920.

and if some one EVER says that amd needs 8 cores to beat 4....im going to find out hwere you live and shoot you! honistly, threads are what do teh work. and by my count....its 8 vs 8 with intel and dozer!

where is intels APU....i tohught you guys siad it would be out by now? as in before april.  or is sandy have a GPU in it? i thought it was only CPU right now?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 3:01pm
SB has GPU in it.  Big%20Smile
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:15pm
The day you learn how to use spell check, I might start listening to you.
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 2:40pm
http://forums.vr-zone.com/news-around-the-web/1196899-nvidia-unlock-sli-amd-990-series-chipsets.html

if true, nvidia unlocks SLI for amd systems... sadly only the 990fx and 990x norht bridge.

but they unlocked SLI for amd systems...OFFICALLY!!!

spell check? i did not know this form has spell check....i see it now however. insted of bitching, tell me thats it the little ABC in the top left when you psot a message. that way, people wont spend 2 years on this form misspellign words, and actually relize that DS has a nice form.

most of the forms in on...Digital Mind Soft, Red Orchestra:Heroes of Stalingrad...they dont have a cheacker....this is the first one i have found.. well teh first not to underline things in red like MS word.

o wiat, NVM, i need to install a program...to bad i do most of my "forming" from the schools computers, and they wont let you download f**kING ANYTHING!!!! because everything you downlaod is a communist virus!
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 11:09pm
/popcorn

ive always found Justin.kerr to have good information.

Unless AMD gets Hyperthreading as a hardware element, its going to continue to lose to Intel. We can pray but i doubt it will happen.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:35pm
hardware HT? as in like intel, but with a phiscial/real core and not soft ware baised....then thats waht AMD has.

if cpus were liek workers at a table....

1 core = one worker using one hand
4 core intel with HT = four workers using both hands
8 core AMD = 8 workers using 1 hand.

but AMDs workers can share some recources like if one forgets his pen... (slpit FPU and decitated recources).

amd found a way to get more workers in to the same sized table as intel.

Kerr does have good info, he has helped me out mroe then once!

and i saw a slid on a french website that said the 8 core dozer will compeat with teh i7 26xx and the system price arround 700 bucks.

even if its 10% slower, i save a LOT of money! and im kinda wanting t buy  6 core AMD insted of wiating...i REALLY need a new computer! i have got hosue fan blowing on the side of my computer now!

and competition will be great! lower prices, faster development of tech, ETC ETC ETC.

AMD deos not NEED to be the top dawg! if tehy sell lower cost to make CPUs at a low cost that hit the price range of the average computer (wich is still using mainly pentiums and low end core 2s/ athlons) they can make a killing,

sure, selling 1000 $2000 CPU's will generate a crap ton of money, but selling 50 million $300 CPU's will generate more!

justin.kerr....one question. knowing what you know now (mabey do some rearch from a non-bias point of view), what do you think dozer will do?

PS, dozer will work in SELECT AM3 mobos. (mainly the 8xx mobos) with a simple BIOS update! thats liek sticking a sandy in a LGA 775!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12