AMD reports more losses and a new CEO.

Post Date: 2008-07-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: AMD reports more losses and a new CEO.
    Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 6:28pm
Sunnyvale (CA) – AMD announced its seventh consecutive quarterly loss. AMD lost $1.189 billion during the quarter, including a $920 million write down of ATI operations. Dirk Meyer has been announced as new president and CEO of the company. AMD late-trade shares have been halted.
source: tgdaily
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
TomD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote TomD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 1:23pm
Randy View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 11:23pm
Poor AMD. They had a nice run. Lets hope the GPU/Nvidia market will give Intel a run for its money. When they start using gpus to process things.

Edited by Randy - 22 Jul 2008 at 11:24pm
Intel E6750
2gbs 800mhz Ram
8800 gt oc 660/1900
320gb hd + 500gb
Dual boot - Ubuntu 8.04, Xfce, Compis-fusion & Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 2:06am
I would say AMD is not finished just yet. One more failed generation and they will be iMO, but it's too early to call it over. Spinning off the Fabs to raise money through the IPO of the new company while simultaneously removing that operating expense from the AMD ledger is a start, assuming that works as planned, but they need to have a solid offering in the CPU market this fall. I see Intel is taking advantage of their competitor's weakened condition (8 straight quarters posting a loss I believe for AMD) and is planning on a September paper launch of the X58 and Nehelam with the hard launch to follow in October.

IMO, the pressure is on AMD to deliver something to market that can at least compete with Nehelam at the middle upper segment while delivering decent performance in the $150-$200 price range. I don't know if they can do that or not, but everyone should be hoping they can, because IMO no one will want to see the result in terms of value for the dollar, or lack of options to choose from when it comes to motherboard chipsets that will result from a belly up AMD.

I don't yet buy nVidia as a serious threat to Intel. In order to be that, they will need a more convincing demonstration of CUDA IMO.
Nickdapimp View Drop Down

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 5:10am
and this is why I never buy AMD, if they go OOB then im stuck with a chipset and mobo designed for it thats ...well dunno lol just dont wanna take risk

widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 2:54pm
While Intel may be the leader in technology (45nm dies), AMD has better architecture. Once AMD gets 45nm dies to be reliable, they will have the superior CPUs avaiable. Intel's Nehelem has to overcome 2 major issues that Intel keeps failing at. That is integrated memory controllers and a true quad core, rather than 2 duo cores merged side by side. Attempting to succeed at both simultaneously, while adding in tri channel memory is a major step. Expect some serious issues at first and sub-predicted performance. AMD's next-gen is not only superior, but won't have issues once 45 nm tech is secured.
Slicer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Slicer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 4:43pm
That's a pretty bold statement widdle, where are the facts that AMD won't have issues?  I appreciate your sentement but back it up with some facts.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 4:42am
Originally posted by Slicer

That's a pretty bold statement widdle, where are the facts that AMD won't have issues?  I appreciate your sentement but back it up with some facts.

Well, the facts are that AMD already is using the architecture of integrated memory controllers and their quad cores are true quad cores on a single die cast. They've cleared the main issues and have working cpu of this type already. Their version of nehelem is likely first going to be two of their quads fused together like intel does with 2 duo cores to make their current quad cores. AMD isn't avoiding problems thru magic or because their engineers are smarter. The fact is, they've paid their dues already and have learned from previous flaws and shortcomings. That is, they aren't having to reinvent everything. It's a matter of them piecing together knowledge and abilities they already possess.
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 9:39am
 it just may be too little too late for ati and amd...wont really matter what they have in the pipeline if they arent in business anymore...i wouldnt buy anything from them for the fear of them going out of business and losing all support...you can only endure big losses in any business for a short time..sorry to sayCry
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 9:46am
at 5.03 a share...i can almost hear the death toll for amd....it is sadCry
Nickdapimp View Drop Down

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 9:48am
Soooooooo I guess its time that DSO took AMD off there site since its dieing and no more AMD products gonna come. ATI is gonna cry for AMD dieing oh well...

Slicer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Slicer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 1:32pm
I wouldn't say they are dead, for one thing ATI's 4870x2 may have a pretty significant impact to that division.  Based on widdlecat's observation if AMD can do what is believed they could be a player in low-mid range chips.  One problem is however that chip costs keep going down, with Naehelm pricing for their top chip expected to be 1000 and mid range chips in 500-600 territory it forces AMD to compete in that range.  It's obvious that based on quanity and distribution channels Intel is far superior in marketing and volume based sales figures and that provides thin margins for AMD to operate.

AMD needs to look at cutting costs first and foremost, instead of trying to be a giant in the industry they should do a re-organization plan, eliminate some debt and cut some employees, focus on their new tech and really expand their marketing division to boost sales in a segment they can compete in.

I agree that we need more than just Intel/Nvidia in the marketplace and would suspect that there are venture capitalists that will step in to support AMD/ATI to prevent a monopoly type scenario.

Nothing pains me more though to see some CEO of a huge corporation like AMD/ATI getting paid out the a$$ when his company fails at producing a profit.
850 SI
Quad 9450 3.6 GHZ
790i Ultra DDR3
CPU Liquid Cooled
GTX 280
4GB 1333 DDR Corsair
Nvidia ESA System
860W PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply