Post Date: 2015-03-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Alledged Benchmarks Titan X ; 980Ti; 390X
    Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 9:25am
As this is WCCFTech, take with a grain of salt but if this is true, AMD has a winner as it is better than the Titan X and much cheaper and they are saying the 390X will launch with 8GB of the stacked VRAM.

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-390x-nvidia-gtx-980ti-titanx-benchmarks/

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 14 Mar 2015 at 9:27am
Tron View Drop Down

Quote Tron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 10:22pm
Wow 390x is a beast. The 980 Ti pops up again I think it will be a 8gb card with HBM this fall.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 11:07pm
NVIDIA has publicly acknowledged that HBM-style memory will be used on the next generation of chip, Pascal, which won't come out until sometime next year. If the 980 Ti does pop up, and if so it will probably be this week at NVIDIA's GTC, in all likelihood it will be a cut-down GM200 chip from the Titan X with half the VRAM.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 7:13am
Yes the 390X looks to be a pretty strong card if this is accurate and NVIDIA won't be migrating to HBM until 2016 and Pascal.  It does look like there may be a Ti card now which somewhat surprises me giving the fact that the Titan X doesn't do D.P. well and is more of a gaming card this time around. 

That said, I am now torn as I was just going to go with x3 Titans but if I wait, I'm sure this card will be cheaper (and better).  I'm not sure I can wait until June.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 8:23am
Dax,

Get the Aventum 3 with one or two NVIDIA cards fully water cooled. When the R9 390X cards, get one or two of them and add them to the rig and take advantage of the heterogeneous compute abilities of DX12. (I'd talk to DS about the water blocks on the cards to make sure you can bridge between them.)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 9:29am
Thanks for the input .  I'm not big into the water cooling as it will drive up the price pretty significantly.  I was probably going AIO (the new Corsair 110i).  I am aware of the Win 10 DX12 heterogeneous compute but if I was to bet my marbles, I'm pretty certain that this will be pretty buggy at least initially and support would by developing and I'm not sure I want to be there for the growing pains - lol.  Also, the benchmarks etc. probably should be taken with a grain of salt as they are rumors.  That said, it's nice to see some heavyweights in the GPU category that will be able to run 4K fairly reasonably!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 10:00am
So, if you are going to go with air-cooling for the GPUs, keep in mind that the only motherboards out there that allow for an extra slot of spacing between the GPUs in a 3-way set-up are the EVGA boards (you'll have to sacrifice 8 PCI-e lanes to do it, but with the interface bandwidth usage right now, that isn't as big a deal as cooling). Otherwise, with the ASUS cards, you will have two cards right next to one another with no spacing. While you can do this, you'll get some high temps in the top cards (or bottom card when the motherboard is flipped in the Velox or Aventum).
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 10:33am
Understood.  It'll be the Asus Rampage V m-board and I'll go with the Air 540 case with 3 120mm fans.  It looks like the Titan X has launched and is available tomorrow!!  Decisions...Decisions...

Edit:  Also, as the card blows the air out the back and not into the case and there is no backplate, I think that should help it a bit.

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 17 Mar 2015 at 11:43am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

Yes the 390X looks to be a pretty strong card if this is accurate and NVIDIA won't be migrating to HBM until 2016 and Pascal.  It does look like there may be a Ti card now which somewhat surprises me giving the fact that the Titan X doesn't do D.P. well and is more of a gaming card this time around. 

That said, I am now torn as I was just going to go with x3 Titans but if I wait, I'm sure this card will be cheaper (and better).  I'm not sure I can wait until June.

even w/o DP the Titan X is still a prosumer card as opposed to "gamer" card.  it's really niche, filling the workstation+gaming user who doesn't want to shell out lots of cash for more expensive setups and who also likes to game.  however, as i've stated in another thread this card doesn't make a whole lot of sense to people who build their rig around gaming.  there are cheaper options (yes, even with a single card) for handling sub 4k gaming resolutions, and there are better options for handling good (which this card struggles at) 4k gaming experiences with dual card setups.  it's still unclear how R9 390X will handle 4k as a single card solution, so until we see gaming benchmarks it's all theoretical. 

i don't think you can even classify this card as an "enthusiast's card" because enthusiast's don't target sub 60 fps at 4k res.  when you launch a "flagship card" (at $1,000) it had better hit that magic number on the highest res currently available (on ultra settings).  because, why game at 4k on medium settings?  that's a fail imo. 

tldr: unless you need cuda cores and lots of GDDR5 memory for work i'd pass on this expensive niche card. 

Edited by db188 - 19 Mar 2015 at 11:18pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by 

So, if you are going to go with air-cooling for the GPUs, keep in mind that the only motherboards out there that allow for an extra slot of spacing between the GPUs in a 3-way set-up are the EVGA boards (you'll have to sacrifice 8 PCI-e lanes to do it, but with the interface bandwidth usage right now, that isn't as big a deal as cooling). Otherwise, with the ASUS cards, you will have two cards right next to one another with no spacing. While you can do this, you'll get some high temps in the top cards (or bottom card when the motherboard is flipped in the Velox or Aventum).

why only EVGA?  i'm pretty sure any "WS" type board (like the Asus WS sold right on this site) from any manufacturer will handle 3-4 double slot cards with good air between them. 
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 12:28am
Yes, the WS board could do it, but they're using a couple layers of PCI-e switches, including a PLX with routing capabilities. That should provide the same bandwidth (16 lanes to the top card and 16 lanes to the bottom two cards) but at the expense of a couple hundred nanoseconds (with processor clock cycles in the GHz region, each cycle is sub-nanosecond). The WS board is much better suited for compute applications that feed a ton of data to the GPUs instead of having tons of draw calls as there are with graphics processing. The EVGA boards (as well as most consumer boards) only use a single layer of switches which don't have routing capabilities, so they're much lower in latency.
 Post Reply Post Reply