Post Date: 2015-03-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Air 540 Build
    Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 8:35am
OK folks, I'd appreciate any input (and sorry for the wall of text).  This will be for 4K gaming.  I'm currently at 2560 x 1600 but will upgrade to a 4K monitor once I can find a good one that's about 30 - 32".  I'm also a bit torn.  Should I wait for AMD's 390X or just go Titan.  I definitely need a new rig and June seems a bit away but I'm having problems in my head justifying spending $400 - $600 more on potentially something that may not be as good.  I know, I know if you wait for the next best thing you'll never get anything but the cost reduction and the better tech just around the corner definitely has me balking at buying right now. 

Some other questions I have:
1). I'll go 3 120mm fans in the front.  Should they be SP or AF?  From all I've read SP versions are better but don't understand why unless the concern is the front filter.  In addition, does anyone have any idea if that means I would need to get the FAN Upgrade option?  Also, is there an additional charge for different fans than those offered as I guess that could be seen as a special order.

2). Do people think that a filter for the bottom of this case is necessary?  There is a place online that now sells them (not Corsair however). 

http://www.demcifilter.com/p0431/Corsair-Air-540-Dust-Filter-Kit.aspx

I was also wondering if they could modify the case to put a fan on the bottom (not sure that can be done due to the hot swap bays I think).

3). Was thinking of x3 SLI.  However, with the Titan, it seems like heat could be a problem and spacing on the mother board.  This was brought to my attention in a different thread by  which I appreciate.  On further research, I think AnandTech during their review indicated that the VRAM side of the board can get ridiculously hot.  Thus I'm thinking x2 should be good enough (provided I don't wait for the 390X).  I'm assuming DS could also change the fan profile to start cooling at lower than 80 degrees which is the default on the Titan now.

4). Overclocking.  For the CPU - stage 1 or stage 2?  For the Titans?

OK enough of the questions, this is what I was going to go with:

Configuration Code:

Configuration URL:

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1165004

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 19 Mar 2015 at 8:37am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:12am
Hi Dax.   Looks like a dynamite rig to me.    What's not to love? Hahaha

Fans.... It looks like your choice is the LED R4's at 120mm or the NON- LED SP or AF 120's.    Some say the static pressure because of the filter but I'd stick with the AF.  I don't think the filter is all that much.  I never tested it Big%20Smile  but that's what makes sense to me.      I like the LED 120mm R4. 

Any fans outside of that would be a special order from my understanding.

Filter...I didn't know the Air 540 had a spot for a bottom filter.    The psu is behind the right cover and pulls air in from the side.  If its the mobo cavity, I'd think the airflow would be positive and vent out the bottom  under the drives.  Not sure though, never thought about it. 

I'm not sure DS will install EVGA Precision or  Afterburner to set up a custom fan curve, but you could ask.  Its something you could also do like I have done.  Pretty simple.  They might if you pick oc on the gpu.

I'd stick with stage 1 oc.  I'm conservative and don't really think the jump from maybe 4.4 to 4.6 would be all that much benefit.  I wouldn't oc the cards, myself.   Not a whole lot of benefit for the added heat and stress.  Conservative, again.

Looks like you're getting there.  StrongBig%20Smile

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 10:19am
The other option to get the third GPU with an extra slot spacing is to special order one of the EVGA motherboards.

Could you point to the reference for the fan profile of the Titan X? I had heard that NVIDIA was looking to potentially turn off the fan at low temperatures, but I haven't yet seen it confirmed. Also, I am thinking the fan comes on a much lower temperatures...80 degrees C is where the card starts to throttle its performance to not overheat.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:35pm
Hey bprat,
The fans are definitely 'vexing' me - lol.  I'm not sure why and maybe I just go with whatever comes with the case (except change it to x3 120mm) and if there's an issue, changing out myself.  I'm imagining that shouldn't be too difficult.  With the filter, the concern is the hole at the bottom of the case that is not doing anything I believe.  I know a number of things I read indicated that this could lead to dust etc.  I'm not sure one way or the other but something I read and then saw so I'll probably see how that goes also.  It looks like EVGA is selling overclocked Titans.  Hmmm...

 -  thanks for the input.  The issue with special orders above the charge is how it effects the warranty.  If it is something innocuous like fans or case, I don't have a big issue but a MB I don't think I'd do.  With regard to the fan profile and the Titan, I don't remember to be honest where I read that.  I've read so many reviews of the Titan X that it's blurring together.  The review indicated what you mentioned that the fan stays off until it hits a certain temperature and then kicks in.  They were indicating that perhaps it's wiser to have the fan kick on sooner.  More noise that way but better temps.  
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 4:13pm
Good point on the warranty...while EVGA does have good warranty service, as well, it is nice to have a single place to call for all problems.

You could still wait for the R9 390X's...they should fair better with close proximity of multiple GPUs with their integrated AIO cooler, similar to the R9 295X2. You can barely fit it in the Air 540, but it looks doable with each of the 3 120mm rads and fans from the GPUs on the front and the H110i GT on the top.

Maybe Alex or Nav can answer whether the Titan X cards completely idle the fans at low temperatures once they get those cards in stock.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 4:44pm
I'll ping Nav to come by to answer the TITAN X question.
Gnicky View Drop Down

Quote Gnicky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 4:48pm

Edited by Gnicky - 19 Mar 2015 at 6:35pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 4:48pm
From what I noticed, they do not completely idle like the ASUS or ACX coolers. However, they run at such a low RPM that is pretty much inaudible. Hope that helps!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 5:38pm
Thanks Alex and Nav! Interesting that they don't stop them completely. I'm guessing there were substantial benefits to keeping at least a minimal air flow through the heat sink.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 7:16pm
Well, it looks like the Corsair H110i is back ordered until mid-April.  So, I'm still waiting.  I may end up just waiting to see about the 390X.  It seems like this is a sign or something - lol.  It's killing me though!! Maybe AMD will announce earlier than CES. 
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 7:35pm
Dax if i were you i would ask DS if they could special order one of the Swiftech H-X water coolers, if need be you can expand them later to the graphics cards

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 19 Mar 2015 at 7:36pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 7:55pm
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset