FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on new system $2000 budget

Post Date: 2014-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jackelo5609 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on new system $2000 budget
    Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:45pm
Budget:
$2000

Expectations:
Want to play all new games at ultra settings at 1080p on a single monitor (24" wide screen)

Usage:
Would be used for Netflix & heavy gaming

Special Needs:
Would like to have a computer that boots fast and has large storage

Saved Ticket #: thinking about Apollo level 2

New to posting sorry if I did anything wrong
Looking to make a purchase by tomorrow

Thanks,
Kaelara View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:52pm
Well you said gaming but did not say what kind,, there is a considerable difference between COD and World of Warcraft.

The only thing I can say that might be a problem with the Apollo Build 2 with no changes.. is that the Motherboard is going to limit you a bit in that it has no Sli support.

You could upgrade the Motherboard to ASUS Z97-PRO (Intel Z97 Chipset) and still stay within your budget. this would allow you some flexibility if you want to upgrade later and go SLI

The other area that is a bit light is the SSD drive, if you can spring for a larger one I would do that as well

and lastly upgrade the fans this will help keep things cooler , never can have enough fans in my opinion, but then again computer noise has never been an issue with me.. I usually play with a head set on any way..

You will get some wonderful help here. good luck
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:45am
The Apollo level 2 will give you excellent gaming on a 1080p monitor.   If you want to order it without any changes, the Vanquish level 4 for a few hundred $ less is the same performance. The Apollo case and power supply and cpu cooler are different so up to you of course.

Good luck.

Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The Apollo level 2 will give you excellent gaming on a 1080p monitor.   If you want to order it without any changes, the Vanquish level 4 for a few hundred $ less is the same performance. The Apollo case and power supply and cpu cooler are different so up to you of course.

Good luck.

Here is the new setup I am going for
Configuration code 1099022

I will be making this purchase unless you guys can point out so issues or areas I can improve and stay at 2,000.00

Thanks
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:54pm
I wouldn't expect to be able to play Assassin's Creed Unity on Ultra, but it looks great on just High. Benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8738/benchmarked-assassins-creed-unity

Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by 

I wouldn't expect to be able to play Assassin's Creed Unity on Ultra, but it looks great on just High. Benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8738/benchmarked-assassins-creed-unity

Thanks for the heads up I wish I can bump it up a notch to a gtx 980 but I would loose some of the other things I am looking for to compensate I sure hope the gtx 970 will perform good for the years to come

Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 9:18am
I just did another setup I was able to get the gtx 980 in and keep it in my range but I had to loose some ssd and also only have 8gb of ram let me know what you guys think

Configuration code 1099309 vs 1099022

Let me know what one to go with

Thanks

Edited by Jackelo5609 - 22 Nov 2014 at 9:20am
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:10am
I like both builds . I think you have to ask is the sacrifice to your Ram and SSD worth it to get the 980. What will the 980 do for you that the 970 will not?

Do not forget your monitor.. if it is old any improvements that the 980 may grant you might be negated by an old Monitor.

The Small SSD may force you to use your slower HD for some games, this can make load times longer . I play WoW and that SSD would just not work for me because of the shear size of WoW with all it's expacs. So think of the games you play and how big they are.

The 970 is a really good GPU. But the decision is yours... if it is going to eat at you because you do not have the top GPU then maybe you need to get it. I made the decision many years ago to spend 600$ on the then top of the line GPU.. while I enjoyed the performance,but it was not long before AMD and NIVIDA were releasing More advanced GPUS that made my GPU look poor and the investment I made not such a good choice in the long run.

So my advice do not worry about is this the best card yes the 980 is for right now,, but it will not remain so for long. The Question you need to ask will the 970 Work for what you want to do with your computer, will it play the games at the settings you want to play them at. Also to get the most out of your GPU you have to have the support for it... that means the right Motherboard, CPU and Ram as well as a good monitor if you want to maximize the performance of any GPU
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 10:32am
My pick would be your original with the gtx 970, larger SSD. The Apollo is a better case with better cooling. The larger SSD you'll be glad you picked in a few months. The larger ram capacity isn't very useful for most right now but might be down the road.

The gtx 970 is best for your buck if the budget is tight and although it won't give you Ultra settings with all games, neither will the 980 for the same games and stay at 60fps +.   The gtx 980 is 10-20% better fps than the gtx 970 but, for your monitor, the 970 should work great.

Hope this helps.     

Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 1:53pm
Ok thanks guys I will go with the gtx970 build appreciate all the help you guys gave me and look forward to being a happy digital storm system owner

Thanks
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:06pm

Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 5:14pm
I decided to make a few purchases first before I bought the Computer

1.) Monitor = asus vg248
2.) headset = sennheiser g4me one
3.) keyboard = Logitech g105
4.) mouse = Logitech g100
Now the Final configuration I settle with was the 1099022
With that said I am wondering about the motherboard choice I noticed the gigabyte G1 sniper comes with a audio creative SoundBlaster it's only 30 or $40 more than my current motherboard in the build configuration
Would this be a good move considering my headset has no internal soundcard nor do I have one to install when I receive my computer.

I did notice however in the reviews for this motherboard the G1 sniper at Newegg there was a lots of bad reviews specifically in regards to the onboard creative soundcard let me know what your thoughts are I am just about to order and your help on this is greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Quote Jackelo5609 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 8:03pm
I pulled the trigger on the 1099022 and it has already made it to stage 7 and looks as though it will be shipping tomorrow 12-8-14
I don't know how to do the verify customer thing it was bought under my brothers account with his card but can't wait for it to come

Just trying to figure out should I be worried about no sound card I am looking to have directional positioning in first person shooter games
My head set is listed above

Thanks for everyone's help
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 8:17pm
You have to use the same email that you use to log on here, you can probably shoot Alex an email and see what he can do about the verification badge: [email protected]

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 08 Dec 2014 at 8:18pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 7:53am
Your email address has to be exactly the same (case sensitive). Feel free to send me an email "[email protected]" with your order details and forums account name and I will be more than happy to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply