FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice between these two units

Post Date: 2014-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice between these two units
    Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 8:45pm
Hello all, I have narrowed my choices down between two makes. Can you please take a look at them and see any pros or cons between them. Thanks!

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

With this one I'm getting a full liquid cooled unit and saving a ton on shipping. Cost around 4800$.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Pure White Matte Finish with Black Stand
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

This guy only getting the CPU cooling, but gives airflow control. Costing around 4600$ but with a pesky 400 shipping charge.

Thoughts!?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
It seems like it is more of a personal decision at this point. The Velox is more akin in size to most tower cases and the Aventum is a huge showpiece. The watercooling on the graphics cards make them nice candidates to be overclocked.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:42am
Hi JakeF12,

Those are two killer systems for your two 27" monitors. You have said that you are unsure about water cooling. Here are a couple of things to think about and save some money.

1. Drop the water cooling in the Velox and go full air. The Velox is a great design for air cooling.

2. Drop the Extreme Cooling in the Velox and use a H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler on the CPU only. This will give you liquid cooling but no maintenance on the CPU. The GPUs would be air cooled. The Stage 2 coolers are a sealed unit and you never have to add or change the liquid.

You have also said you wanted the Aventum case in an earlier post. You could go with your heart and get the case you really wanted.

You are the only one who can decide what is the best system for you. The Extreme cooling is cool looking in either case and gives a slight performance edge over air. But with your two monitors any of these systems will rock.

I do have questions about your two 1920x1080 monitors. Do you have any plans to buy new monitors in the future? Would you stay with the 1920x1080 resolution?

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 6:24am
I also would opt for the Velox build.   But, the case selection is certainly a personal choice. 

Water cooling does have its benefits, like higher overclock if you wanted and a quieter rig if the graphics cards would put under water.  But, not needed performance wise and does require maintenance at some point as Frank pointed out.  I personally would stick with Frank's recommendations.

Also, for sli, 2x gtx 980, a EVGA 850 watt psu is all you need.  Plus the EVGA 850w Super Nova is a 10 year warranty as opposed to 7 years, not that it will matter much, and the EVGA is a fully modular psu, meaning all the cables plug in to the unit for very easy swapping in case of an issue.  The 1050HX is semi-modular, with the mobo 24 pin and 8 pin cables being hard wired.  Both supplies are top notch, so really can't go wrong either way. 

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Nov 2014 at 6:29am
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:36am
I have not looked into upgrading the mointors as of yet. But thats not to say I wouldn't down the road. So if there is something that you would look into changing to allow me to use a 4k screen at some point in time please let me know! Thanks for the help guys, I plan on doing a ton of reading today and pulling the trigger on one of these two, i love the case on the aventum but if i can save a pretty penny i might use that for a new monitor
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 7:53am
With the changes and how much money would be saved this is what I think will be my choice, please feel free to chime in.

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Red) (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

That drops it down to about 3500 with free shipping! So if it all looks good I'm going to pull the trigger tonight
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:18am
Looks like a dynamite rig to me.  Awesome  The sli 980's will play great on your monitor setup. Strong

As far as 4K, the sli 980 will give very good gaming on high with most games.  If you wanted max gaming graphics, a tri-sli, 3x 980 setup would be needed  for some games.  But, then you're talking about starting at Velox lvl 3 with its X99 mobo that can handle the extra card and a larger psu in the 1000watt range.  2X sli is a very good balance of money and performance. 

Good luck. Big%20Smile

JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:39am
Can the current mobo I picked handle the 3rd card for try-sli, I thought with the specs and research that it could. And also, if needed i'd rather switch out for that mobo you suggested but for the life of me i can't seem to find the option to do it.

Edited by JakeF12 - 28 Nov 2014 at 8:51am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:51am
Hi JakeF12,

I think you have a real winner with your last build. I suggested the Stage 2 CPU cooling as I could feel your discomfort with the full blown water cooling.

I asked about your monitors because I agree with bprat22 that you should consider the X99 platform with more than two GPUs with the Z97. Your Z97 MB will support 3 GPUs but you will be PCIe lane restricted. Most people prefer not to operate a GPU with 4 lanes. Even though PCIe with 4 lanes 3.0 seem to work good with most present games. That could change in the future.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 28 Nov 2014 at 8:52am
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:04am
Hmm I never thought about that. I think i'd rather future proof my rig. So I want to go ahead and make that change, but I can't seem to find that Mobo on my current set up, is it not support the CPU i picked, or am I just doing something wrong and can't find it. Also I want to thank you guys for really helping me think about all aspects.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:08am
Hey Frank...Unfortunately, that 3rd Pcix16 slot is x4 at 2.0.  Anything at 3.0 is still not too bad, but once we drop to x4 2.0, then the performance hits a snag, especially if those channels go through the chipset first and not directly to the cpu, like on some boards.  Not sure with this board. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:09am
Jake...start with level 3.    It'll show there.  
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:12am
Originally posted by bprat22

Jake...start with level 3.    It'll show there.  

If I do that I lose the CPU selection. You are getting a little over my head when it comes the pci slots etc. I'm really glad you are willing to help me out! Thanks
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:20am
bprat22, yes you are right about the x4 at 2.0.

JakeF12, take a look at the Velox system at level 3 or level 4. They use the x99 chip set MB. You will be moving up to a 6 core CPU. More money and not needed unless you want 3 GPUs in the future.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:23am
Sorry about that, Jake.   The Pcie lanes like x4, x8, x16 is the number of channels the cpu use to talk to the graphics card.  X8 and X16 is great.  Below that with the older 2.0 the info starts to slow down and performance can take a hit.  Basically, if you go with X99 like Frank said, it's not an issue.  Plenty to go around.

The 4970k cpu will not fit in the X99 mobo.  You need to select the 5820k or 5930k cpu.  The 5820k for a lot less $$ is all you need for a max of 3x sli.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Nov 2014 at 9:24am
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:32am
Also Frank you have been a big help! You two should get hired on by DS ! A few more things then I'll stop bugging you two. For future proofing, would it be better to add that third video card or look into a bigger card say like the Titans out now.
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:35am
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected

I have no issue spending a little bit more to make it last longer. I use to buy new every few years but always went cheaper with AMD and ATI, so at this point id rather spend the $$ with Intel and not worry about it for a while
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:02am
If you want the ability to go to 3x sli or 4x sli then that's the build to pick.    The Rampage mobo and the 5930k chip allow 4 cards to be installed.    A Deluxe mobo with 5820k chip allows 3 cards to be installed.   The 4th card right now is a case of getting a lot less for your money, but who knows in a couple of years with monitors morphing into higher resolutions. 

The only other thing to consider, is that if your plans are in 2-3 years adding another gtx 980 or two then by then they might not even be available.   They've already stopped production of the 780's with the 980's being released.   Plus, in 2-3 years newer cards will probably have been released that beat the 980's.    It's a balancing act.

If you know for sure you'll get another 980 in several months, then go for it.  If not, get Z97 with sli 980 might be your best bet.   

Its tough to future proof, with the hardware changing every year. 
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 10:27am
The last slot on the Maximus VII Hero board has PCI-e lanes coming from the chipset, not from the processor. You cannot SLI through this, but you can CrossFire through it (although it is not ideal, only people doing compute operations like Bitcoin mining should use it as such). You can, however, put another NVIDIA card (it can be dissimilar, too, unlike cards in SLI) in the slot and it will function as a PhysX co-processor, off-loading the physics calculations from the GPUs in SLI and allow them to focus their workload on scene rendering.
JakeF12 View Drop Down

Quote JakeF12 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 6:12pm
Hey everyone, I just want to say thanks for all the help you have given me! Big shout out to Bprat and Frank for using there own time to help out. I pulled the trigger on the rig a few post above and now I'm playing the waiting game! Just a random question..does DS do all the updates or when I get the unit will I have to do them all myself?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 6:19am
Hi JakeF12,

You are welcome for the help. You ended up with a really nice build for future expansion. I wish I had that system. I really like that Velox case.

DS has software and drivers that they try to keep updated but drivers and Windows can change daily. It is pretty hard to keep up with all the changes. You should expect to do some updates when you get your system. I would want to do them even if DS was perfect just to know I am starting with the latest software/drivers.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Dec 2014 at 6:19am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 7:42am
  Awesome     Real nice rig and congrats.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Dec 2014 at 7:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply