FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Additional Memory Advice (Timing, CL, etc.)

Post Date: 2014-08-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lucan View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lucan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Additional Memory Advice (Timing, CL, etc.)
    Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 5:23pm
Hello Fellow DS Fans,

I've had my Digital Storm PC for a little over two years now and I continue to absolutely love it. I opted for 8gb at the time and though I'm not sure if I'm actually ever running out of memory, I would still like to upgrade my system to 16gb for a little more headroom.

I have two 4gb sticks of ADATA AX3U1600GC4G9-B in there now, which is unfortunately no longer available from the manufacturer. A quick Google search tells me that this memory has a CL value of 9-9-9-24, CAS Latency 9 and Voltage at 1.5V.

Can someone please confirm for me that if I match these settings, memory from another manufacturer should play nice with the two sticks already installed? My system is not overclocked in any way.

Many thanks.

Edited by lucan - 03 Aug 2014 at 12:05pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 2:48am
Hi lucan... to confirm your memory timing and voltage, download CPU-Z and use its memory and Spd tabs to check.   

The 9-9-9-24 at 1.5 v is very popular and you should have no problem finding something.   Doesn't have to be the same manufacturer.

You can use a site like Crucial.com and it's memory upgrade tool to scan your system. They guarantee what they identify as compatable.

Hope this helps and good luck.
lucan View Drop Down

Quote lucan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 12:04pm
Once again, thank you bprat22. Very much appreciate your insights and assistance.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 6:00am
I don't know if you did this or not yet, but I don't exactly recommend mix matching memory sets.

Though some places like Crucial (which I'd personally never buy crucial memory) can promise you it'll be compatible, it's not 100%.

You can buy a 16GB kit on newegg or Amazon pretty cheap. Especially if you want a 1600mhz kit. That's on the lower end of DDR3 and very popular so you can get some good kits for cheap/decent prices.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply