Adding memory or upgrading

Post Date: 2015-03-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
police215 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote police215 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Adding memory or upgrading
    Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 2:41pm
Looking to either add or upgrade the memory in my older gaming desktop computer. I currently and running

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Also my computer also is running
Intel i7 920 running at 4.0 ghz
GTX 780

any advice

Edited by police215 - 24 Mar 2015 at 3:04pm

michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:47am

Some motherboards have a RAM compatibility test

In general, it should support any DDR3 memory at speeds the motherboard supports.

You would also want to figure out how many RAM modules it supports, and whether you need to do something specific to get dual channel RAM working properly, if supported

All that info would be in the motherboard manual, which could be downloaded from the proper website.
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
police215 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote police215 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 7:44am
OK, I ready to get new memory and i would like to MAX it out to 12gb.... Here is what my Motherboard manual says what it will support

"System Memory support
Supports triple channel JEDEC DDR3-1333. Officially supports up to 12GBs of DDR3 memory."

Im a little confused that I'm running DDR3 1600 and ive never had a problem... I have found some 3 x 4gb on newegg and Im looking to purchase... I have posted a link to get any advice..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231466

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:35am
I don't see any issues with that memory.   It should work just fine with X58, but then memory can get finicky. 

The 1333 vs 1600.......Most memory in this category I believe ships at 1333 and the 1600 is what its rated at.    If your present ram is running at 1600 then this should also.  When you first install it, it might setup at 1333 and you need to go into Bios to manually set up the speed and timing(9-9-9-24 for example)   

Not sure your board has the XMP profiles to select in Bios, but that's another option for some. 

The only potential issue is that the voltage is 1.25 and you might have to adjust it to 1.5 volts for that mobo to use it if it sets up to the 1.25 v.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:47am
I noticed I typed something wrong. I did not mean to say motherboards have memory compatibility test. I meant to say they often have a compatibility list
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
police215 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote police215 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:56am
Thanks again guys.... So bprat22 should I get 1.5v instead? I hate to get something that isnt going to be compatible.. I dont have the deep knowledge when it comes to all of this...

Under the timimg, do I look for the higher number or gaming or lower numbers? i.e. 9-9-9-24 or 8-8-8-24

The motherboard Im using

EVGA x58 3x SLI
Model Number: 132-BL-E758

Edited by police215 - 30 Mar 2015 at 12:02pm

Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:06pm
In the "old days" we used to look at CAS Latency (CL), which I think is the first number.

I have read articles which explain how that matters less these days. Firstly, it is speed dependent, as it's counting clock cycles, not time. So it changes with memory speed, and it's not immediately obvious which is a good CL for a given memory speed ( it can be worked out, sort of, with some math.) Another issue is that, modern systems have various layers of caching and this prefetch behavior. In some tests I have seen, the benefits of lower CAS latency may be masked by the ability of the system to be able to provide the memory needed in such a way that the CL does not matter.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:24pm
I personally would just get the ram with 1.5 vdc.  The other is certainly doable but just one less thing to adjust, possibly.   The latency difference between 8-8-8-24 and 9-9-9-24 is so small you'll never see it.  Technically, the lower latency is better but just get the best price.  The lower latency might be more money for nothing.

9-9-9-24 at 1.5 v is pretty typical and all you need.   Probably what you have now. 

That pic you posted just shows the ram install.   You know this but for others, to take advantage of your tri - channel ram with X58, you need the 3x ram sticks.  

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Mar 2015 at 12:25pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:33pm
To help out, here's an example of a memory manufacturer's page to check compatibility....

This one is Crucial.....  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ble3kit4g3d1608de1tx0

Going from 1.25 to 1.5 v ram will probably be cheaper.  

Use CPU-Z, memory tab to check what you have for a comparison. 

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Mar 2015 at 12:38pm
police215 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote police215 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:54am
Here is my CPU-Z memory

Edited by police215 - 01 Apr 2015 at 8:57am

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 10:17am
It shows your ram timing at 11-11-11-28 .  The DRAM frequency you double, always, and you have your 1600 mhz.    The DDR is double data rate and CPUZ shows you the single data rate.  So half. 

The JEDEC in the second pic, I believe,  is just the different ram specs  that have been tested and certified for that ram   by that engineering council.   That doesn't mean other rams won't work, however.   Just what you can expect with that ram.  

The 9-9-9-24 you posted  is a better latency.    Big%20Smile   

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Apr 2015 at 11:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply