FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A quick question about Facebook integration

Post Date: 2014-04-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ralph1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ralph1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A quick question about Facebook integration
    Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:17am
Hey there,

As a gamer, developer, and writer, I have a question that I wanted to ask after I just found myself frustrated with yet another website that wanted to do everything possible to force me to use Facebook. For those of you that have a Facebook account, how do you deal with those websites that seemingly want to ‘force you’ to log in through Facebook.

Now I think that this is has to do with advertising revenue blah blah, but does that ever convince you to look elsewhere? As in, do you ever find that the forced integration just makes you want to leave a website rather than comply with their excessive demands?

I guess the question I have (or just wanted to see if my opinion was in line with what everyone else thought)…at what point do you just say ‘not worth it’?

For example, just the other day I came across a website that refused to show me the news story that I clicked on if I did not log in through Facebook. Even if I had wanted to log in through Facebook (which I do not) I certainly would not have done so if you try to coerce me.

Any thoughts?

Anyone heard of http://www.FlappyGamer.com ?
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:50am
I honestly have no issue with it, i use facebook to log in to other sites just to save me from creating a account.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 22 Apr 2014 at 5:59am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:56am
I don't think I've ever had a website ask or force me to use Facebook to view. 

I tried Facebook for awhile just trying to win a pc, Hahaha, gave it a shot connecting to others, hated it and dumped it.   Just me.  Big%20Smile
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:01am
I make an account and a unique password with each website that requires a login. I use a multi-platform password vault to safeguard all of my logon IDs and passwords. I shy away from web sites and applications that push too hard for my Facebook, Twitter, or Google credentials. 

Why?

A single sign on sounds convenient but if it is ever compromised, allows unauthorized access to every account accepting the single sign on.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:49am

Facebook?  What's that? 

I don't have a Facebook account.. as a matter of fact, I've never even been on the Facebook site.  I am, effectively, off the social networking grid for many reasons.

So, to answer your original question;  how do I deal with websites that force me into Facebook....  I don't.  Delete/quit/erase immediately.

This answer isn't particularly helpful, I know, but I just wanted to let you know that there is still a pocket of society that will not give in to the 'herd mentality' called "Social Networking".  We are dying off, to be sure, but we are out here.

Peace.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 4:02pm
I have websites always asking me to log in with Facebook, but they also have an option to create an account that's just for the site, even if they don't make it that prominent.

I never log into sites with Facebook or Google accounts that aren't Facebook or a Google site.  I use Lastpass and have pseudo-random, unique passwords for every site, so if one ever gets compromised, it doesn't compromise all the other sites.

And yes, it's pretty annoying nonetheless.  I don't use my Facebook account hardly at all because of their past history of changing their terms of service and privacy rules and controls whenever it suits their need to sell your information to others.  I pretty much don't use any other social media sites either, for fear of the same thing happening there.

If for some reason I encounter a site that will only let you sign in with Facebook?  They will not get my business or interest.
 Post Reply Post Reply