FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A fan is dropping drastically in RPM

Post Date: 2012-03-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vanchacha View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vanchacha Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A fan is dropping drastically in RPM
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:22pm
My computer is the level 1 ODE

I was just wondering if this is normal for a fan to drop that much in RPM. While watching the RPM while not doing anything, the RPM stays at a reasonable number, but once I click one something and load Steam or the game League of Legends, the RPM drops quite low, and then shoots back up once the program has loaded. So far the lowest it has gotten was 1 RPM

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:25pm
Is the fan actually changing speeds, or is this just the program reporting those changes? At 1 RPM you would definitely be able to tell if the fan was actually changing speeds even if you couldn't tell a different in noise. Misreadings of fan RPMs are very, very common. 
Vanchacha View Drop Down

Quote Vanchacha Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 7:37pm
Having open the side panel and looking at the fans, I don't see the fans changing speed at all. I assume I would be able to tell if a fan dropped to 1 RPM, but then again I don't know much Confused

That one fan just seems to drop RPM while programs are loading and starting up, such as Steam and what not, but looking at all all the fans, I don't really notice any changes in speed that are drastic
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm
I have a strong feeling this is a bad reading, are you noticing any temperature fluctuations when the fan drops out like that? If your temperatures are fan, and the fan isn't noticeably changing in its true physical speed, then I wouldn't worry about it personally. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:11am
I would guess there isn't any fan plugged in there.  The ODE 1 has the cooler fan plug into cpu-fan header on mobo and the other case fans usually plug into the ODE top front fan controller.  The back exhaust  fan I would check, but I think that also plugs into fan controller.
 Post Reply Post Reply