Post Date: 2010-05-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1 234
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 3:25pm
well a gpu that does not have a high oc should last longer, so that is overhead that can be avoided.

DS never does high ocs, they just introduced stage 3 oc for cpu, lets see if that lasts or not.

feel free to go with 5870 if don't care for the extra heat of the 480.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 3:27pm
Well that makes sense concerning DS' attitude toward GPU OC.
How do you feel about the 470? Is that adequate enough for my resolution?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 3:47pm
The 470 needs to be oced to run that res with highest settings and high aa and af.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:18pm
Well that's it. The end of the line. Game over. Last stop. Final destination. Whatever you want to call it. After all the posting, questioning, answering, debating, wondering, and anguishing, it's over.

I filed a brief. Hit the switch. Pulled the lever. Pushed the little red button. Lowered the drawbridge. Pulled the trigger.

Before I post the final build, I would like to extend a big thank you to the forums, and specifically to DST4ME and justin.kerr for all their advice and help. Without them, this purchase would not have been possible.

(Drumroll please) Lift curtain! Lights, Camera, Action!

Chassis: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)*
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Total Cost: $2,007
*I have upgraded to the EVGA LE Edition, waiting for confirmation from DS.

Well as you can see, I think everything checks out. This setup should be exactly what I need for my budget. I had to cut the HDD down to the 500GB model, which is more than enough space for me anyhow. If I get more money down the road, I may put in a Blu-ray optical drive, a SSD, a sound card, and a wireless network card.

The monitor I have chosen (but haven't yet ordered) is the HP zr24w
http://www.productwiki.com/hp-zr24w/ with a resolution of 1920x1200. Now before you protest that the 5850 card is inadequate for such a high resolution with max graphic settings, check out this helpful review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/blizzard-entertainment-starcraft-ii-benchmark,2611-6.html
True, the review does admit that AA isn't available yet, but I don't think that will be a problem once the game goes live. According to the benchmarks, I think the GPU I chose will be capable and powerful enough to get the graphic results I want in a game such as the one mentioned.

If you think I should change anything in my build, now is the time to say it, before the construction process begins. I don't want to inconveinence DS with a sudden change of plans once the computer is built.

I can't say thank you enough to everyone who offered suggestions, tips, and helpful advice; it was more important and meaningful to me than I can say. Thanks all, and HOORAY FOR DIGITAL STORM! Heart
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:24pm
for games that do support aa you will not get good fps in those games and many games do have/use it.

if that is ok with you then you are good.

change 930 to 920.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 May 2010 at 6:27pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:01pm
Yeah aa is usually used in FPS, which I don't play, so it won't be a problem. Besides, as I already mentioned, getting a faster card is beyond my budget.

I will change the 930, thanks for the correction. It is only an $18 dollar difference, but money is money.
The performance is about the same on both, correct?

Edited by Diogones - 11 May 2010 at 3:03pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:57pm
920 @ 3.7GHz is exaclty the same as 930 @ 3.7GHz.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:58pm
Gotcha, I've gone through with the change, and the mobo has been updated to the LE edition.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:01pm
Good choice
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:14pm
The eagle has landed! The rabbit is in the hole! Whatever you want to say, I don't care, the machine arrived yesterday!!

I was so excited I forgot to post then to let you guys know! Unfortunately, I do not have a digital camera to upload pics, otherwise I'd show you in all its glory!

Yet, once the dust had settled and the champagne bottle had been drained, I have just a few questions I wanted to ask about my new machine.

1.) I received a lot of extra parts with my computer, such as pieces for Crossfire and whatnot. Are these just spare parts, or do I need to install them to get the computer running optimally?
2.) The reason I ask is, while the computer is running swell, there are a couple of flies in the soup. The machine will start up when I turn it on, and then immediately shut down again. After a period of about 5 seconds, it will boot up again and then load correctly.
3.) Since I got a Stormscout, it has four USB ports on the front. But I noticed that the first two (left to right) did not work. I tried plugging in all manner of peripherals, but nothing registered. The other ports worked, but these two are unresponsive. I don't know if it is because I had the media card reader installed, which might have disabled them, but I am worried about them.

Everything else is amazing. The turnaround on my order and when I received it was spectacular, especially after I called in once to correct a typo with the shipping address. Nothing seems to phase DS, but I hope I can get some answers for my machine soon, or I'm worried I'll have to return it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:22pm
@Diogones,

I'm glad you got your system!

1. These are just extras which you should save for future upgrades, etc...

2. That is fine. Certain motherboard models do that when they are overclocked. No need for alarm

3. Since you have a media card reader it will disable two of your USB ports as it uses one of the motherboard USB header pins. There is a note of this in the actual item name of the card reader as well on your invoice.

Other than that, your system is perfect. The things you mentioned are no issues at all. I hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions or need help, don't hesitate to call us or send us a message.

Cheers,
Alex
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:31pm
Holy Smokes! A post from Alex himself!

Well thank you for your prompt and helpful replies to my questions! Ok, the spare parts are extras, and I think I realize that now after I saw the VGA to DVI converter. (which has already come in handy, thank you!)

I guess I shouldn't be worried about the false startup then? I was worried that the OC was unstable, because there is no way anything could have been damaged in the shipping. The packaging was just phenomenal, and I didn't see anything amiss when I inspected in interior. I just didn't realize that some mobo models must restart once before the computer launches.

Alright, I understand that two ports will be disabled. I guess I was confused; I thought that by disabled it meant "removed". No matter, I guess I'll just place a strip of tape over the two disabled ports.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I didn't even have to call or anything: now that is customer service for you! I will be sure to contact DS if anything goes wrong, although I don't think that will even be necessary!

Three cheers for Digital Storm! Ouch

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:18pm
No worries bud!

If you have any issues during gaming or anything, we're here for you.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234