Post Date: 2010-03-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 4:03pm
I love how the haf looks and yes it has some plastic but its a solid case IMO, and for the airflow you can't beat it. thats my 2 cents.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:25pm
Thank you for all your replies to my question about the Haf tower. It seems as though that would be a good choice then. I have been doing a lot of research with monitors, and I was wondering if the LED Cinema Display from Apple was any good. It supports both the 1280x800 pixel display, which is appropriate for the 5850 I plan on getting, as well as the 1920x1200 resolution, so that if I decide to upgrade to the 5870 later on, I will already have the monitor I need. All I would have to do would be to raise the resolution. Additionally, it is LED-backlit, and it is an IPS monitor as well. It would also seem to be a good monitor for watching movies and high definition videos. Do you think this display is good for the Digital Storm setup I'm getting, or overkill? Again, thanks for everyone's help; this forum is incredible! Tongue

Edited by Diogones - 08 Mar 2010 at 1:27pm
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Diogones

Thank you for all your replies to my question about the Haf tower. It seems as though that would be a good choice then. I have been doing a lot of research with monitors, and I was wondering if the LED Cinema Display from Apple was any good. It supports both the 1280x800 pixel display, which is appropriate for the 5850 I plan on getting, as well as the 1920x1200 resolution, so that if I decide to upgrade to the 5870 later on, I will already have the monitor I need. All I would have to do would be to raise the resolution. Additionally, it is LED-backlit, and it is an IPS monitor as well. It would also seem to be a good monitor for watching movies and high definition videos. Do you think this display is good for the Digital Storm setup I'm getting, or overkill? Again, thanks for everyone's help; this forum is incredible! Tongue

Have you compared the Dell U2410 with the Apple?  Several people here in the forums, myself included, have the U2410, and the U2410 is getting pretty good reviews here.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:15pm
I thank you for referring me to the Dell U2410. You are right, it offers most of the Apple monitor's features, but at a lower cost. Unfortunately, I think I may need to cut back my budget and get something that is quite a bit cheaper. I'm estimating no more than $500 will be allocated to a monitor, so if you know of an effective monitor for my needs at the right resolution for that price, please don't hesitate to tell me.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 4:29pm
if you wait around the U2410 goes on sale or get coupons where the price with shipping is under $500 looks like right now its on sale for $539

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Mar 2010 at 4:32pm
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 4:39pm

I thank you for referring me to the Dell U2410. You are right, it offers most of the Apple monitor's features, but at a lower cost. Unfortunately, I think I may need to cut back my budget and get something that is quite a bit cheaper. I'm estimating no more than $500 will be allocated to a monitor, so if you know of an effective monitor for my needs at the right resolution for that price, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Prior to getting the U2410, I was using an Acer H233H which came with my girlfriends system.  It is only 1920x1080 though, but is a good monitor in my opinion.  The Acer does good with both gaming and watching movies, however if your not right in front of the monitor to watch a movie you have to move it to keep from having that fading effect like most TN panels around the edges.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 1:28pm
Well thank you Rholyrag, but I am wondering: does the Radeon 5770 work with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor?
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 4:04pm

Well thank you Rholyrag, but I am wondering: does the Radeon 5770 work with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor?

Here is one review of the 5770.  The review benchmarked the 5770 at 1920x1200.  In my opinion, the 5770 will work with a 1920x1080 monitor, but the eye candy may have to be turned down on most games to get better fps. 

justin.kerr and DST4ME know more about gpu's than me and can tell you for sure.  Hope this helps.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 4:43pm
ya but those are with 2x and 0x af, turn up the aa to 4x or 8x and you gonna get low fps, so I guess it comes down to the setttings and etc, if don't need high aa and af and high settings then the 5770 will do it, but if you want high settings and good aa and af then 5870 is what you want or a 5850 with hi oc.

you can check out guru3d's review on the 5770 here with 8x aa and 16x af, they show you both single and cf for that card and they have other cards listed too in the chart
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:57pm
Thank you very much for the chart, DST, it is very helpful. So it would seem that the 5870 is not a huge improvement over the 5850, fps-wise, at least as far as the table shows. The main reason for getting the 5870 would be to support a 1200 instead of a 1080 resolution.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 6:07pm
depends on the game, some games have a bigger difference then what you see, the 5850 is best for 1600 x 1200, that way in 90% of the games you should be able to play highest settings and 8x aa and 16x af, for 1900 x 1200/1080 5870 is best so that in 90% of the games you should be able to play highest settings and 8x aa and 16x af, however with a good high oc on the 5850 you can match the performance of a 5870, which is why we tell people on low budget that have a 1900 x 1200 res to go with a 5850 and oced it high, that way they get the performance and pay less.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Mar 2010 at 6:09pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 9:26pm
This discussion has all been very helpful, but there is one thing I am doubtful about before I get the prescribed config that we agreed on earlier in this thread. I just don't know if this will fit my budget, for you see, my config will be Two thousand dollars, and that is before I even get a monitor, (with many people recommending the Dell monitor for $500) and a keyboard. So I was wondering if there was any way that I could pare the price down. Maybe by getting a smaller tower perhaps? I could also drop the extra RAM, as three may be enough for me immediately, and I could always get to six memory at a later date. Then of course, there is the PSU. I could get a 500W instead of a 750W supply. Outside of this, however, I don't see how I could significantly lowered the price unless I either get a slower processor, (the i5 comes to mind) or a weaker graphics card with a lower resolution. Unless I could also choose a lower quality motherboard, which is probably impossible, or if I choose to get the standard chassis fans and skip the Noctua cooling system.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 10:00pm
how much do you need to scrape off and what was the ticket number we agreed on?
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 8:30pm
I was hoping to scrape off anywhere between $300 to $500, and the ticket number was 389331.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 8:43pm

I was hoping to scrape off anywhere between $300 to $500, and the ticket number was 389331.

You could drop the RAM down to 3GB to save $122 for now, and drop the Blu-Ray player for another $56. Thats about the only thing I really see worth dropping, I don't recommend lowering the power supply to anything less than 750w.

You don't have to get a $500 monitor, you can get a cheaper one or just save up for a bit longer.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 2:28am
looking at it I see we already cut whatever we could, honestly remove the bluray drive and replace with a dvd is -56, drop the ram to 3GB as dragoonseal said and still you are looking at $200 lower, there is nothing else to drop really, I think best idea is to save a bit more then buy the monitor.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 2:23am
You are both right; I can certainly remove the Blu-ray drive from my configuration, for while it doesn't save me a significant amount of money, as the saying goes: every little bit helps. Additionally, there are other technologies that could provide similar performance to Blu-ray that could appear in a few years, so it may not be wise to invest in it prematurely.

I am unsure about dropping the RAM to 3GB, however, as I have read that a minimum of 4GB of RAM is preferred for the 64-bit version of Windows 7, in order to ensure smoother performance and a faster response time from applications.

As noted earlier in my prior configuration thread, it really does not make sense to get a config with weaker specs, such as the i5 setup, simply because it doesn't require a huge investment to get a much greater value with the i7 config that is on my ticket. Thus, while DS certainly encourages and rewards customers for a more advanced rig, I can't help but feel I am buying more computer than I need. I may try to get a custom built computer with lower specs and a lower price from another company, such as AVA. I have heard good things about them, and they do have lower priced rigs, so it is certainly an option for me. If there are any other respectable custom computer builders around besides DS, please do not hesitate to inform me about them. It is a shame really, because DS has everything I'm looking for from a computer manufacturer: great customer service, quality components, and an excellent build and test method. But it seems to be more focused for really hard-core gamers, which I am not. Like I have mentioned before, I mostly play older games and games that are not incredibly demanding on a computer system, so running them at max settings while performing other tasks shouldn't require a computer of the caliber that DS offers. Just my thoughts at the moment, but don't panic: this doesn't mean that DS is now out of the question, merely that I may have to rethink what I order from them, if indeed we can reach an agreement about what config is truly right for me.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 2:41am
to be honest for me, I looked at all the other builders and felt only comfortable with DS, I wouldn't trust my money with anybody else.

as far as needing 4GB ram with 64bit, this is not correct, 3GB will run it just fine so will 2GB, what matters is how many stuff you gonna have running on it at a time, 3GB will get some room, but if you want to do heavy multitasking then 4GB or more is a better idea.

keep in mind that prices are lower other places for a reason, and those reasons are why most of us shop here at DS.

I also like to point out to you that this system is not gonna show you its worth, till in a few years when you upgrade its cpu for cheap, then you will appreciate it truly IMO, thats how it was for me to be honest, back in the day when budget was tight, and new pc was not an option, a cpu upgrade was god sent.
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 3:03am
Well DST, that is a well-reasoned arguement for sticking with DS. I wanted to clarify my statement about RAM and Windows 7. While you are certainly correct that any amount of RAM will work with the 64-bit version, for it to run smoothly (and I don't mean multi-tasking) it is preferable to have a greater amount of memory.

You are right, I can upgrade the CPU cheaply, as that is based on the motherboard's capacity for such an upgrade. I think the EVGA board is compatible for the i9 upgrade, if that is what you are referring to.

Would DS allow me to alter the build with a separate part that was special ordered? For example, if I wanted the chassis in a unique color, and DS didn't stock that sort of chassis, couldn't I have them order the one I have in mind (as long as I have the serial number and other information) and then pay whatever that chassis cost?

If I were to remove the OC option from my configuration, then I wouldn't need a cooling upgrade, which would therefore save me some money, correct? And I most likely will not notice the OC anyhow, as it is a conservate OC and the i7 by itself is probably more than enough for my needs.

If I wanted to save some money and stick with the 5850 graphics card, I could OC so that it equalled the 5870's performance. But that would require a cooling upgrade, wouldn't it? And I'm unsure if my other components would be able to handle an OC graphics card.

You menionted adjusting the aa and af, but how do you change those settings? From the monitor, or the graphics card?

Speaking of display settings, what if, instead of spending $500 on the Dell monitor, I were to go with a HD TV instead, with the proper connection, of course? I hear that the amount of money that must be spent on a quality monitor could simply be spent on a decent TV. Seems like a personal preference, but I am interested to hear everyone's opinion on that.

Would I be able to drop the PSU on my current configuration at all? Or would anything less than 750 be incapable of supporting the components I chose?

Well I believe that is all I have for now, but the items are certainly worth considering! Thank you again for your help. Tongue
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 4:31am
My pleasure

for win7 64-bit to run smooth you would need no more then 2GB of ram max. thats for win7 alone, throw in other apps and of course the ram amount you need goes up.

its not longer called i9, that changed few months ago, its now called the i7 980x, and its already being offered by DS, there is a non extreme version comeing out at some point that will be the i7 970, both these chips are 6 core and they both fit the x58 platform and not the p55.

yes DS will order whatever you like, we are not confined to what is in the config page, we can order whatever we like, my system for example is full of stuff that is not offered here at DS. but keep in mind you will pay more for them to do that, lets say a case cost $100 with newegg, if you ask DS to use that case, your price for that case is gonna be higher.

the brain of pc is your cpu, the pc speed is the speed of cpu, the oc makes the biggest difference of all things in your system, you will greatly notice the difference between a 920 oced to 3.7GHz and a 920 @ stock speed of 2.66GHz, the 3.74GHz is much much faster.

you would have to oc the 5850 pretty high but from what I understand you can do so on air, so no upgrade to cooling would be needed, also ocing the gpu does not have much to do with other components, these are great cases and system, they don't flinch for that kind of stuff, 3 gpus oced high are nothing comparing to a room that has a warm temp, just to give you an idea.

anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering (aa and af) are settings that are adjusted in the games themselves.

IMO tvs don't make the best monitor, and picture quality may not be as good, depending what monitor you are comparing to what tv. Also from what I understand a monitor lasts much longer then a tv with a lot more usage, in other words you can leave monitor on all day, and not worry about it.

I would not drop the psu to lower then 750w.

Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 2:05am
All right DST, I am back! As you may have noticed, I have been absent for quite some time. I went skiing for spring break, and it was a lot of fun. I ended up crashing out and pulling a hamstring, but I think I'll be ok. Now, to continue the discussion from where we left off:

1.) Are dual hard drives cheaper or preferable to a single drive? I know it depends upon personal usage, and I know that RAID isn't necessary at all for me, but I was wondering if I would see more performance if I were to get one smaller, faster hard drive (10K RPM or SSD, for example) for gaming and applications, and use a larger, slower hard drive for storage.

2.) What is the difference between benchmarking the system during testing and stress testing it? I noticed that while DS stress tests the computer as part of its computer building process, but no benchmarking was available to me as a selectable option for my configuration.

3.) Do the port numbers on the motherboard and the processor have to match? For example, I have noticed numbers such as 1156, and 1366 on the processors or motherboards that I examined. What do they mean, exactly?

4.) Speaking of motherboards, which is better, EVGA X58 or Asus P6T? I know that EVGA is in my build, and I according to your last post, the X58 is required if I wish to upgrade my CPU down the line. Still, I wonder what capabilities the Asus P6T has. I'll also research it and see what sort of options it offers.

5.) Another numbers question: What does 1333 RAM mean? Is that its speed, or its model number, or something else?

6.) Would you recommend expansion ports, especially for my needs, or is that overkill? I'm wondering because I was deciding if I should add a media card reader onto a PCI lane, or get a version that installs into an expansion bay.

7.) Most wireless network cards install into a PCI lane, correct? Or is there one that I can attach to another component inside the computer? Is a network controller similar to a network card, or is it more like an adapter?

8.) You mentioned getting DS to order parts for you that they didn't have stocked. Would you know of a custom chassis website I could visit to get the right color finish/design on it so that I could have DS use that to house my components? I've already tried newegg and other similar sites, but they offer a more general selection, and not the specific customization service which I require.

9.) Would it be cheaper to have DS overclock the 5850 graphics card to the maximum, instead of getting a 5870? Or do they only offer the lighter, moderate OC for the card?

Don't worry; I'm sure I'll consider more as I continue my computer research for the right machine for me. Due to my injury, I'm going nowhere fast! Ouch

Edited by Diogones - 28 Mar 2010 at 3:06am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 3:13am
1. if you search the forum you will see me recommend single HDDs and not raid, and also that HDD1 should be small fast drive and HDD2 should be normal large drive.

so sssd for HDD1 and 1TB HDD for HDD2 is perfect.

2. you have to ask that from DS themselves, if you are asking why you could not choose how they test your system.

3. no mumbers don't have to match but sockets do, and those numbers you mentioned are sockets, i7 920, 960, 975, and the new 6 core 980 all use socket 1366, the lower model i5 uses the 1156 socket.

4. asus offers false sata 3.0 right now and usb 3.0., their support sucks now and they are not the company they used to be, if you use sata 3.0 you will gimp the pci lanes, anybody can have the same sata 3.0 and usb 3.0 with a pci sata 3.0/usb 3.0 card.

5. "6GB of 1600MHz ram"

in the above 6GB is the amount of ram.

in the above the 1600MHz is the speed of ram.

amount of ram = more multitasking (for todays regular/games use 6GB is more then enough)

speed of ram = speed that ram works at, the higher the better but it does not make a huge difference, but with an i7 if you want a good oc, 1600MHz is the best choice specially since its price is pretty much the same as 1333 here.

6. if you see furture use for pci lanes, the go LE or 3x sli, they will give you plenty of pci lanes, I use lot of pci lanes myself actually.

7. ya they go into pci lanes, I'm not familiar with controllers, I thought they were the same thing.

8. what kind of customization are you looking for?

9. you have to ask DS that, if they do oc it that high, I would go with a 5 year warranty and make sure that the warranty covered what they oced to.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Mar 2010 at 3:16am
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:42pm

Alright, thank you for confirming what I thought about the hard drives. So how would I set that up then? I mean if I'm using two hard drives (the fast one and the 1TB one) how do you use both simultaneously? I've never had a computer with two hard drives before, you see.

Since sockets do have to match, I think I'll go with the 1366, since that will allow me to upgrade to the faster CPU later on. The EVGA Micro is 1366, right?

I was not aware there was a 3.0 USB card. You're suggesting that using the EVGA with a USB card is better than getting the Asus, because the Asus requires too many PCI lanes with the sata 3.0?

I was wondering about that 1333 RAM speed, thank you for clearing that up.

I'm not sure how many PCI lanes I will need. I know that the Micro Edition from EVGA has four, and I count at least two being used: (One for my wireless N network card and one for the 5850/5870). But I might get a dedicated sound card sometime in the future; but only if a good speaker system can be had, as otherwise the full benefits of the sound card won't be enjoyed. I could get a USB 3.0 card as you suggest, and that's another question: is the USB 3.0 an effective upgrade to the 2.0? I don't know enough about the different versions of USB to comment on it one way or the other.

Is an expansion port like an PCI lane, or is it something else?

For my chassis, the customization I'm looking for is a paint job. I would like a royal purple tower, but I've already asked DS and they explained that they couldn't paint any of their cases that color. So I'm looking somewhere else to either get a tower from DS (such as the CM Storm Scout, for example) and have that painted, or get a tower that already comes in that color. I just don't know who offers either service.

Why do you suggest that I get the 5-year warranty from DS if I have them OC the 5850 to 5870 levels? Is it because that is such a high OC that there are heat and failure risks associated with it? Or is it because such an OC isn't covered under their 3 year warranty?

Thank you for being so helpful, knowledgeable, and straightforward with your answers, DST. You are a real computer configuration hero.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 9:14pm
the second drive installs and looks like a folder look below you will see my pc with like 5 HDDs, 3 internal and 2 external, you click on each and they open up like a folder, so you treat them as a folder, only difference is that when you move a folder from one folder to another within a drive, the folder get moved and its new location is where you moved it, but when you move a folder from drive to drive, it gets copied, leaving with the copy of the folder on each drive, one where it originally was, and one where you just try to move it to.

other then that they are folder:

drives "C" "D" "E" "N" and "O" are all HDDS, there was a drive "Q", but he recently died

yes socket 1366 is one that allows you to upgrade to the new 6 core 980x and 970 that should be out at some point.

as for mobo, no, I'm suggesting going with evga, and a usb 3.0 card if you really need one, cause evga has better support and a better mobo IMO. but the asus says it offers sata 3.0(6GB/s), however if you do use it, it will slow down the pci lanes your gpus are in.

pci lanes, micro has 4 pci lanes yes, however 2 of them will be taken up when you install a gpu, so in reality you have 2 free lanes, in cf or sli you have no free lanes. I suggest going with 3x sli, they give you many pci lanes to do whatever you like.

usb 3.0 is faster then usb 2.0 as long as what you are connecting it to also supports usb 3.0, otherwise you will get 2.0 speeds even tho you have 3.0 on one side, so lest say you have an external drive that is usb 2.0, connect it to a usb 3.0 port on the pc, and you will get transfer speed of usb 2.0.

expansion port is refered to the opening for the pci lanes/parts on the case, so in a sense they are the same thing, pci lanes are on the mobo, expansion slots are on the case.

ok for that kind of paint customization, I think justin would know better, I don't paint my cases, I like to paint the parts lol but not the case, so I can't help you there.

I got the 5 year warranty cause high end parts go bad all the time and when they do I don't want to worry about it, I let DS worry about it, lol. So for that reason (peace of mind) I recommend the 5 year to everybody.

My pleasure and good luck

ask as many questions as you like.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Mar 2010 at 9:15pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 3:04pm
Wow, thank you for that visual of the My Computer from your rig, DST. Never saw a setup with that many hard drives before. It is a shame about your poor Q drive though.Wink

So assuming that I did get the two drives, would it be better if I installed the OS on the slower, bigger one and ran games and applications on the faster, smaller drive?

Ok I won't worry about USB 3.0, as I think all of my USB devices are 2.0, and that is already fast enough for me.

I wasn't aware that the graphics card would take up two PCI lanes. Is that just because of the sheer size of the graphics card in question? (the Radeon series) Or is it because the EVGA micro edition has smaller lanes?

Since expansion ports are on the actual chassis, and not on the motherboard, do they work differently, in terms of configuration, speed, and what you can fit in them? And do any of the towers that DS carries include an expansion port?

I do have to agree with you about the 5 year warranty; you just never know what can happen to a complex machine like a computer.

Alright, I'll give a shout out to Justin then: Justin, if you are out there reading this, please give me a hand with the chassis customization! Or if you know or have a way to contact justin directly DST, please let him know about my question.

I'm going to have to ask DS to give you a paying salary as the forum tech support and configurator assistant, DST. Ouch

Edited by Diogones - 29 Mar 2010 at 3:04pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 3:58pm

So assuming that I did get the two drives, would it be better if I installed the OS on the slower, bigger one and ran games and applications on the faster, smaller drive?

You want to install the OS and apps on the smaller faster (preferably SSD) drive. You want to install the games on the faster drive too if possible, but they aren't as important and they don't benefit as much as the OS/apps do, so consider them a luxury if you have enough room left on the smaller faster drive. Don't feel bad about having them on the bigger slower drive.

I wasn't aware that the graphics card would take up two PCI lanes. Is that just because of the sheer size of the graphics card in question? (the Radeon series) Or is it because the EVGA micro edition has smaller lanes?

http://www.evga.com/articles/00487/

The EVGA x58 Micro has two x16 PCIe lanes, those are the big red ones. They are the fastest/most bandwidth and where you put the video cards, but you can put slower things in them too like sound or RAID cards if you really wanted. Most video cards these days take up two slots, so for example on the Micro if you have the video card on the top red PCIe x16 lane it is going to also block that little black PCIe x1 slot right under it. Similarly if you have a video card in the bottom red PCIe x16 lane it is going to block the black PCI lane under it. So if you're doing two video cards in SLI or Crossfire then that's all you'll be able to fit, but if you stuck with single video card setups then you'll actually have two more slots (a PCIe x16 and a PCI) available for add-on cards.

Put if you plan on sticking with single video card setups then you may as well just use the EVGA x58 LE, it has a lot more PCIe slots:

Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 4:11pm
HDD rules are:

HDD1 = fast drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

Don't fill up your HDD1 more then 50%, if think you will need more room for it then pick a bigger one.

ever since the 260 gtx and 48xx ati cards, teh size of the cards are so that they take 2 pci lanes when installed, but if you LC the gpus they will take one pci lane.

ok expansion ports and pci lanes, let me see if this clears it up for you, to see the full image, right click the image and choose "open image":

Its my pleasure

now be carful about asking for customization, cause it sounds like you want a custom case, when you talk to justin besure to tell him that you want to paint the current case you have, otherwise he will send you to mountainmods where you get a custom case (build-wise), just make post in the hardware secion and put justin's name in the topic, something like "justin need your help" and as soon as he is back on the forum he will help you.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Mar 2010 at 4:13pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 4:50pm
Woah! Thanks for the visuals Dragoonseal and DST! That computer looks fantastic! Confused

That really helped to explain the whole PCI lane deal to me. Honestly, before coming to this forum, I didn't even know what one was. So the expansion ports are what you attach to the card once it is settled in the PCI lane, got it.

I might just stick with one drive, as I think that may be cheaper than going with the dual drive setup. On the other hand, I do have a 500GB Seagate external hard drive. So maybe I could get a 7200 RPM 500GB for a total of 1TB, and then include the smaller, faster drive. It will be cheaper to go with 500, instead of 1TB for my internal HDD, so that is what I'm thinking at the moment.

I'm unsure what you mean by "LC the gpus" DST. Is that a method of changing the drive so that it fits into just one PCI lane?

Now I noticed that you have two PS/2 ports in the back of the computer, DST. Is that a different motherboard than the EVGA microboard, which I think has only 1 PS/2 port?

Ok, I'll make a separate topic for justin, and we'll see what his advice may be.

Edited by Diogones - 30 Mar 2010 at 4:52pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 5:15pm

So the expansion ports are what you attach to the card once it is settled in the PCI lane

Think of expansion ports as basically just being a hole on the back of the case. If you had 5 PCIe lanes on the motherboard but only 2 expansion ports on the case then you're going to be stuck with 3 blocked and unusable PCIe lanes. If you had 4 PCIe lanes on the motherboard but 8 expansion ports on the case then you're just going to have a bunch of unused expansion ports.
Lilim
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 5:46pm
Thanks for the clarification Dragoonseal. The number of expansion ports must match the number of PCI lanes, correct/

Additionally, I noticed that when trying to select 920 in the configuration panel, it appears that it is at the end of its life, and DS wants to upgrade to the 930. Did anyone else notice that, and does it mean that the newer processors will bring a higher performance increase?

How much more expensive is it to go with a 32GB cache on a 500GB hard drive, instead of using the default 16GB cache?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 5:47pm

Woah! Thanks for the visuals Dragoonseal and DST! That computer looks fantastic! Confused

That really helped to explain the whole PCI lane deal to me. Honestly, before coming to this forum, I didn't even know what one was. So the expansion ports are what you attach to the card once it is settled in the PCI lane, got it.

I might just stick with one drive, as I think that may be cheaper than going with the dual drive setup. On the other hand, I do have a 500GB Seagate external hard drive. So maybe I could get a 7200 RPM 500GB for a total of 1TB, and then include the smaller, faster drive. It will be cheaper to go with 500, instead of 1TB for my internal HDD, so that is what I'm thinking at the moment.

I'm unsure what you mean by "LC the gpus" DST. Is that a method of changing the drive so that it fits into just one PCI lane?

Now I noticed that you have two PS/2 ports in the back of the computer, DST. Is that a different motherboard than the EVGA microboard, which I think has only 1 PS/2 port?

Ok, I'll make a separate topic for justin, and we'll see what his advice may be.

the only things that makes the dual setup price higher is the price of the ssd but that is because the ssd is so much faster then a 7200rpm drive.

if you don't need 1TB HDD for storage then ya go with the 500GB.

LC = Liquid cooling.

also drives don't go into pci lanes. gpu (graphic cards do)

the pics I showed you are random pics and not my pc, my pc is on its way soon. but the 2 ps/2 ports you see in the back of that pc is one for keyboard and one mouse.

Edited by DST4ME - 30 Mar 2010 at 5:48pm
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 5:56pm

I see how expensive that SSD drive is that DS offers with the configuration. What if I went with a Raptor 10kRPM drive, or is that not worth the trouble?

So if I had the graphics card liquid cooled, it wouldn't take up two PCI lanes? Why is that? I don't think it would be worth it, as we have agreed that the Noctua is a better deal both in terms of value and longevity compared to LC.

Right, drives don't go into lanes, that was a typo on my part. I noticed that there were two PS/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse, but does that come with the EVGA micro motherboard, or the LE edition?

Not your computer? I bet yours looks more like a jet engine from a Star Wars spaceship. I don't think you'll be able to take pictures of it to show me; it will be moving too fast! Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:05pm

Thanks for the clarification Dragoonseal. The number of expansion ports must match the number of PCI lanes, correct?

No, they don't have to. But like I said in my last post if you don't have enough expansion ports on the case for the motherboard then you will end up with blocked and unusable PCI lanes.

Instead you want to make sure the case has expansion ports equal to or greater than the number of PCI lanes on the motherboard. Having extra unused expansion ports on a case isn't a problem, they just stay closed up with a metal cover as seen in the picture DST4ME posted of the back of a case.

I'm pretty any modern case even remotely worth considering these days comes with a ton of expansion ports, so it shouldn't be an issue either way. You'd only have to be careful if you were selecting something like the bigger EVGA Classified 4-way motherboard, but those are so big they don't even fit into anything but the largest cases anyway, like the Hailstorm.
Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:07pm
veloci is a great drive but its not ssd.

again you are mixing stuff.

Noctua is for cooling the cpu, it has nothing to do with the gpu (graphic cards).

the gpu have their own fans to cool them down or we LC them.

so LC on cpu is different then LC on gpu.

Noctua/v8 and all those cooling options you see are for the cpu, not gpu.

most new mobos have one ps/2 for keyboard and the mouse will be usb.

lol actually its big and heavy so I'm not sure if my pc will move at all I will have pics when I get it tho
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:30pm

Right, drives don't go into lanes, that was a typo on my part. I noticed that there were two PS/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse, but does that come with the EVGA micro motherboard, or the LE edition?

Looking at the back of my EVGA x58 Micro it has.. 1 Coaxial and 1 Optical audio, 6 high definition audio ports (which is 5.1 I believe), 8 USB ports (for a total of 12 with the front ports, geesh), and a single PS/2 port labeled with a keyboard icon.

Here this shows it off well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9IzP6MAf-8
Skip ahead to the 2:20 mark for the actual overview.
Lilim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>