FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$8k Build

Post Date: 2010-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Memento Mori View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Memento Mori Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 5:31pm
Okay, I'm going to go eat some breakfast finally lol \Hahaha/...guh /Wow\ 'cause I'm starving atm!

Just make sure to also talk to Main-Gear guys next week as well, as they might offer you something better customized for your luxurious needs, I have not been on their site in a while, since I found DS, but it's worth a shot!

Aight see ya around man, peace!  Smile/
It was all a dream...
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 5:31pm
Yeah, that's basically just the new base prices now. However there is currently a Labor Day sale for a free upgrade to their 4 year warranty (2 year parts), which will probably only last sometime into early next week.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 9:32pm
based on your semi limited information im going to guess your simulations are CPU based, and if your 4 core is handling it then the 8 cores of a 920 which can easily reach 4+ on air will definitely blast past your actual needs, and if raid raptors handle your read/write, then a single SSD would be all you need as well.. thats good though it means me and my very overzealous self can rest easy knowing everything you need for the system is satisfied and your choices are based in want. that was really my only concern. id never tell someone not to spend money they want to after the need threshold was already satisfied

that aside, i would 100% stray from more than 2x sli, this is problem central, and if you want something that is low stress, id really strongly suggest not attemping 3 or more. i already said my bit about the ram... assuming the highest clock speed is what you are after, a 920 or hex core on water will of course be plenty, but ill throw in a bit here that if you buy un-modded rads they are not going to be quiet, consider putting some funds towards a better suited case and a chunk of custom fans for your rads. which leads me, even more importantly, in to looks. you said something about this thing being very visable.. to me that would change my case choice almost instantly.. all i see that the hailstorm offers is a lot of space but in my opinion this case is old and has outlived its time, if you are looking for a beautiful and very quiet build, you will have to go beyond the choices in the configurator in my personal opinion
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:07pm
For now the simulations are CPU based, but we are investigating developing a GPU based set up.  I may have given a misperception that the MAX CPU speed is my main goal, but it isn't My goal is Max CPU while keeping it fairly quiet (No expectation of silent) And Max Graphics at resolutions at or exceeding 2560x1600 Im not looking to set records.

You have piqued my interest, I have looked at a lot of cases, would you have any favorites?  Keeping in mind LCS is a must, and I "like" large spacious cases, in this case the Hailstorm is going to have some custom items installed which means I need the room.  Not looking for flashy color schemes Black on black I might spring for the red accent option (given my druthers a Black and Gold (go Steelers) paint scheme would be acceptable)  But painting the grills is something I can do myself.

So thoughts on a big roomy case meant for LCS are appreciated, Im not married to the Hailstorm.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:30pm
How badly do you need the CPU power? Have you considered just toning down on the extra flashy stuff a bit and stepping up to a dual CPU Intel 5520 chipset system?

A highly overclocked 980X is pretty beastly though, I'd be really surprised if it didn't met your needs.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:07am

so many opinions on cases that its really hard to pick a case for someone else, but if youre looking for big, performance, sleek, and simple, i say its hard to out do Lian Li  they have some pretty sick looking choices.. but for full internal rads with plenty of space you can check out the mountain mod cases

MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:44am
Dragoon  Yeah the 980 is quite the CPU, I considered dual CPU, but believe the single CPU setup will work.  It's all kind of a balancing act, power, performance, noise level.   The servers go in their own room specifically because of the noise and heat, this is going in my office where I will be conducting normal business sooooo... I think this kind of strikes a happy medium.

!ender_  Yes I hae checked out the Lian Li cases, nothing really struck my fancy to be honest a lot of cases are just big square boxes.  I might be missing something but I don't see a lot of difference between the 800d and most of the Lian Li stuff..  You are right its hard to pick a case for someone else, I just thought Id check out your favorites  Big%20Smile  Mountain Mods...now those are some beastly cases, will be checking them out, since it looks like I have a few days till I can order.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 6:15pm
if it were me and you wanted a full LC set up that had to be seen by a lot of people and still give you great temps/performance, id get a mountain mod case with an easy 2x triple rad set up like the ascention but so many different options on these make them super individual to the person, id probably do something like the ascention with 2 acrylic sides and a shiney mirror black finish

cases are so huge though lol
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 7:08pm
@MagiK,

We'll be more than happy to extend the current promotion (10% off + Warranty Upgrade) to you, even if it's after the Labor Day Sale.

We've actually been looking to release a new chassis under the Black|OPS umbrella lately which would allow us to configure the most extreme of the extreme systems using two triple radiators, etc... I'm not sure when it will be final (3-4 weeks). Mountain Mods was one of our first choices, but, the sheer square size of them didn't really sit too well with us.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Alex

@MagiK,

We'll be more than happy to extend the current promotion (10% off + Warranty Upgrade) to you, even if it's after the Labor Day Sale.

We've actually been looking to release a new chassis under the Black|OPS umbrella lately which would allow us to configure the most extreme of the extreme systems using two triple radiators, etc... I'm not sure when it will be final (3-4 weeks). Mountain Mods was one of our first choices, but, the sheer square size of them didn't really sit too well with us.

Alex if you would like me to be a "Pioneer" for that set up I would be very interested.  Basically I really disliked the idea of having that small radiator hanging off the back.  The Mountain Mods cases are just a tad too boxy (and they appear to sound very lound on youtube), but if you want to work with me on this new concept Im ok with the price increases likely for the set up.  Two larger radiators internally would be great, or even if one is external as long as it is not looking like a wart on the face of the case  :)  This new build sounds like it meets the itch I wanted scratched. I had been sitting here thinking of ways to work with two triple radiators but couldnt find a case that would work so was considering a Zalman Reserator 1 V2 for the CPU and Chip set cooling.

Edited by MagiK - 05 Sep 2010 at 10:20pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 11:05pm
the MM cases themselves will usually sound loud on videos becuase most who use them get pretty extreme with fan choices/amount. not sure how much cutting DSO is willing to do but if you like the idea of a smaller case than MM with full internal rad work you can likely get all you want into the cases offered depending on what rad size you are looking for
this is probably the best fully internal job ive ever seen, i mean this guy is an artist
http://www.overclock.net/9857815-post14.html  (you have to scroll down a ways)

a tj07 could work too... seen some really sick mods on those as well

Edited by !ender_ - 05 Sep 2010 at 11:25pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 1:42am
To give credit where it is due, these pictures are from users on xtremesystems.org they are from (WhiteSky & Ogge_swe).

I spoke with the team, we're thinking of offering a Black|Ops Signature Edition around the 800D chassis. It would include a massive cooling system with ultra high-end cooling components (see blue system below) and even having all the cables sleeved (see red system below).

Here are some examples:

There is a massive radiator at the top and at the bottom of the chassis (no external radiators).

@MagiK and anyone else interested with this, send me an email (Management@digitalstormonline.com) and I will let you know when we will be planning to launch this, etc... [It should be in the next 2-3 weeks].

Edited by Alex - 06 Sep 2010 at 1:59am
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
Hi Magik, welcome to the forums.  When you were on the Mountain Mods site, did you see the Pinnacle 24?  If you are looking for a case that can hold two large radiators, It will hold a quad and triple rad easily.  Another possible option for you.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus from Gladiator
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 11:57am
Email Sent Alex,

Rholyrag I did see that...dont like forward facing fans much, but I need to look close to see if those fans can be removed and replaced with a hotswap drive bay.

You a Nitanny Lion?  Home of the Legendary Joe Paterno?

@Alex   So two Radiators one top and one Bottom...where do you fit the Power Supply?  Drooling

Edited by MagiK - 06 Sep 2010 at 12:29pm
neilkaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote neilkaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 12:20pm
@MagiK  You'll love the 980x and it blows away my overclocked 920 for my very CPU intensive apps.

You mention dual CPU, but unless I am mistaken (someone please correct me) MoBo's don't exist for dual i7's and you'd have to go to the higher cost Xeons?

That option may be my ultimate (well for a few years) build once 8 core HT chips come out, since I could make great use of 32 threads.

Originally posted by MagiK

Dragoon  Yeah the 980 is quite the CPU, I considered dual CPU, but believe the single CPU setup will work.  It's all kind of a balancing act, power, performance, noise level.   The servers go in their own room specifically because of the noise and heat, this is going in my office where I will be conducting normal business sooooo... I think this kind of strikes a happy medium.

!ender_  Yes I hae checked out the Lian Li cases, nothing really struck my fancy to be honest a lot of cases are just big square boxes.  I might be missing something but I don't see a lot of difference between the 800d and most of the Lian Li stuff..  You are right its hard to pick a case for someone else, I just thought Id check out your favorites  Big%20Smile  Mountain Mods...now those are some beastly cases, will be checking them out, since it looks like I have a few days till I can order.
HAF932
i7-980X at 4.34 Ghz HT 24/7
GTX 275
6 MB STT DDR3 at 1628 MHz
Stage 4 cooling
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 12:32pm
Neilkaz yeah Im thinking it should fit my needs, Dual CPU would be icing on the cake or way over kill...though I did consider it before deciding on this rough config.
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 1:09pm

You a Nitanny Lion?  Home of the Legendary Joe Paterno?

Yes sir...Big%20Smile!  Born and raised 50 miles from State College.  I've always been a JoePa/Nittany Lion fan.  lol...got tired of freezing my butt off in the winter and shoveling snow, so I moved west.

Did I see that your a Steelers fan?

Looking forward to watching the progress of your build!  Looks like it's going to be an epic one!

Oh by the way I noticed you have the same last name as JoePa's predecessor, any relation?

Edited by rholyrag - 06 Sep 2010 at 1:15pm
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 3:09pm
Steelers fan since before Terry Bradshaw and Chuck Noll  Grew up in Reynoldsville, 10 miles from Punxatawney Phil  ;)

It isn't going to be the elegant build that !ender_ or others might do, but it will be powerful and interesting to see  :)  Im planning a to get images posted when the time comes.  Looking forward to this new concept Alex mentioned with two triple radiators internal...it is what I really wanted. :)

Edited by MagiK - 06 Sep 2010 at 3:11pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 4:11pm

@Alex   So two Radiators one top and one Bottom...where do you fit the Power Supply?  Drooling

Good question! It fits near the radiators. The radiator at the bottom would be a slim profile one.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:30pm
im looking forward to seeing what your ordered Cool
rholyrag View Drop Down

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:10am
Go Steelers!  Like the new avatar!

lol...How is Phil doing?  Did he see his shadow this year...lol?

I'm with you on having the radiators internal and not having one hanging off the back, so looking forward to the new concept also.
McStrav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote McStrav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 8:00am
It should be interesting to see that's for sure
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 10:28am
Originally posted by !ender_

im looking forward to seeing what your ordered Cool

Me too! Drooling  So waiting on a call from DS to start figuring out exactly what will go into this pig  Big%20Smile  I appreciate the help you all have given and when you see the final build list, you will see that I did take some of your advice.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by rholyrag

Go Steelers!  Like the new avatar!

It was either that or the Men in Plaid avy I normally use (Old Muppet guys in a Men in black parody)

Don't live in PA anymore,  so looks like they will fit the 2nd Triple radiator into the 800d / Hailstorm Case which is fine if it will work without over heating.

If that doesn't work out Ill use a Reserator 1 V2 for the CPU/chip set  (if the Chipset needs cooled)
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 10:55am
!ender_  if you see this, I saw that you advised against having multiple profiles of Over Clocking to another person, I had been planning on having this new build set up with 2 or three profiles, Max CPU, and Lowest Noise/Temp being two of the profiles.

Im thinking maybe my thoughts on this may be faulty and was wondering if you could elaborate.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:27am
if its the thread im thinking of then its not that its faulty idea so much as inefficient, its not a bad idea to have a rediculous max oc profile and a normal one if you are in to doing a lot of overclocking as a hobby, but using bios profiles as a general switch between a few hours of work vs playing some games is simply not needed. the system shouldnt be running on any overclock that isnt 100% stable, and under water, the need for backing off your overflock when you system is sitting at idle or using the fraction of its power that general use like web browsing or office type programs simply doesnt exist. it wouldnt be detrimental to anything if you chose to switch it anyway, just not worth the time rebooting and changing the profile every time

if anything makes noise in a water cooled system its going to be the rad fans, (not video card fans) so a fan controller would likely give you more noticible gains in this line of thinking than changing your profile.. especially if you dont have the rad fans running on "voltage" from the motherboard... which im not sure would be a great idea anyway
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:44am
Originally posted by !ender_

...edit...
especially if you dont have the rad fans running on "voltage" from the motherboard... which im not sure would be a great idea anyway

Ok  I almost followed what you meant the rest your post basically confirmed what I was thinking,  But I got tangled up in the logic here...is it "Should run the rad fans from the MoBo" or "Should run the rad fans from the Fan Controller"?  Oops  I get lost in the flow there  Wink
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:55am
for the best control over the noise on your system id definitely go for a manual fan controller. if you go with the very popular and even justinkerr reccomended gentle typhoon fans you would probably not need even need to turn them down very much (if at all) when you are not doing anything taxing

not sure if i said it in this thread before but id personally suggest spending a good amount of money on the rad fans because as i mentioned you can get a full arsenal of 1400rpm gentle typhoons for case cooling and rad push/pull and they are supposed to be pretty darn quiet even close to max speed AND they are supposed to be very good for pushing air through rad fins on top of that
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:59am
I totally agree with going the extra $$ for good fans, too many failures with the bargain fans, thanks for the info.

Will have the 120's in the case replaced with the Scythe Gentle Typhoon: D1225C12B4AP-14  1450 rpm  fans,  Be nice if I could use 140mm fans  Big%20Smile

Edited by MagiK - 07 Sep 2010 at 12:16pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:32pm
We're planning to incorporate the 'Scythe Gentle Typhoon' fans for our Black|Ops Signature Edition.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:42pm

woot Cool

MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:15pm
Just hard to keep ahead of these guys  ;)

They must be swamped with stuff from over the weekend, still waiting to hear back from the sales peeps.

Edited by MagiK - 07 Sep 2010 at 3:16pm
McStrav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote McStrav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:20pm

Very nice indeed, this kind of information makes me glad I e-mailed and had DS hold my order for this

Edited by McStrav - 07 Sep 2010 at 3:21pm
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:27pm
Well no reply or call back yet, tried calling in to start the order process but no one is available.... I think Im a victim of their success  Scared

So question is should I just use the online ordering set up and order a general build then wait to hear from them to customize it?  Suggestions from previous DS customers appreciated.

Edited by MagiK - 07 Sep 2010 at 3:32pm
McStrav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote McStrav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:45pm
I wouldn't worry dude, when I e-mailed Alex to hold my order for the signature edition he said it could be between 2 and 3 weeks before all details are finalized
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>