FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

7850 and Overclocking

Post Date: 2012-06-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TotalKiRaRoth View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TotalKiRaRoth Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 7850 and Overclocking
    Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 11:50am
Hey guys

I've decided with some additional support from my gf to buy the Level 3 marauder with my loan. This system has the beefed up hd, much better reviewed Intel processor, and the pretty beastly AMD Radeon HD 7850.

However, before I finally throw caution into the wind and place the order, I have a sims question and a complicated one.

First, I have heard from various forums how great the 7850 is, sayin it's more powerful than the slightly more costly 560ti. But I have also heard from others that with certain games, namely World of Warcraft, the card tends to cause a lo of lag and crashes. Has anyone here had those issues and is there a simple way of resolving them? WoW is a major time bank for me, and I definitely don't want to lose it.

And secondly, I have read from sources that the 7850 can be overclocked to match the power of the GTX 570. Is this true? And if it is or not, how cani go about overclocking the 7850? If there is a site that can give a easy to understand tutorial to overclockIng, a link would be great. I know it could be potentially harmful to your rig, but hey, knowledge never killed anyone lol

Uberthanks guys
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:36pm
I haven't heard of any WoW issues with that card, perhaps those issues were back when the card was new and didn't have a mature set of updated drivers?

You could overclock it if you would like, I would first try using the PC to see how it performs for you, if you then would like to overclock it, you can go from there.
TotalKiRaRoth View Drop Down

Quote TotalKiRaRoth Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 1:54am
Hey guys, Back again

Thx for the advice Alex, I decided to run the system standard and it is AMAZING. You never really know what all the hype is about a Gaming-specific rig til you actually have one. Its great.

I am pleased to say WoW runs like a dream, and I am regularly getting 65-75 FPS standard with very few further drops. Other games like Amnesia and SC2 run just as well, if not better.

HOWEVER, I am always curious about pushing boundries. With that being said, I am still curious about overclocking.

My rig specs are as follow:

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
ASUS P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77 Chipset)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)
XFX Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition

With this in mind, especially the graphics card, and also taking into account I have a 600 watt power supply and three standard fans/heat sinks, how far could I overclock? I certainly dont want to red-line my rig and risk burning it, but if there is a safe setting I could get out of it to improve FPS and power under the hood, it would be most appreciated.

Basically, how far could I overclock the 7850 and still be safe?

And just for future reference, how high would be considered red-lining it?
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 7:51am
Oc is a process of trial and error, you need to stress test for stability etc. There is no standard for oc because each piece of hardware will oc differently many factors come into play like the ambient temp what the cards temp is etc
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:14am
I recommend reading some guides based on your motherboard and CPU which can help you with overclocking.
 Post Reply Post Reply