FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4KILLER MACHINE

Post Date: 2015-04-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nofuture View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nofuture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 4KILLER MACHINE
    Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:03am

You can see my approximate configuration as config 1181973.  I wish to see if Digital storm will make some custom changes to the system. The changes are as follows. 

1. Instead of a tower case I would like a 4U RackMount Case. My preference is the

ARK 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case 3 External 5.25" Drive Bays

2.I would like the motherboard to be the

ASRock X99 WS-E/10G LGA 2011 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

3.I would like to have as my boot disk a

SAMSUNG XP941 Series MZHPU512HCGL-00004(0) M.2 512GB PCIe Gen2 5Gb/s up to 4 lanes MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

connected to the M.2 port on the motherboard and ensure that operates at full speed (PCI-E x 4).   If the SATA ports are not configured right the speeds will drop.  Please see the motherboard manual.  

So in all I wish to have:

pecifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish with Red Stand
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: Asrock X99 WS-E/10G  (Intel X99 Chipset) (Workstation Class) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1:

SAMSUNG XP941 Series MZHPU512HCGL-00004(0) M.2 512GB PCIe Gen2 5Gb/s up to 4 lanes MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks

Graphics Card(s): 4x SLI Quad (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: VREG/CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fans <br><strong></strong>
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <br><strong></strong>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:07am
Your best bet is to contact DS directly at [email protected] or call them Monday morning (9am PDT) and talk to the sales folks there.

Sometimes they will bounce around the forums on weekends and perhaps you'll get an answer.

Cheers.
nofuture View Drop Down

Quote nofuture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:11am
Thanks for the tip :)
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:30am
You can do 3 GPUs, not 4...there are only 7 PCI slots in the chassis and each of the GPUs requires 4. You'd have to go with something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V2MP9924 in order to fit 4 cards. Getting watercooling into these chassis' will not be simple, it even possible; you may want/need to go with an air cooler for the CPU.

With the motherboard, you should check into seeing if there is any support for NVMe. Even though the interface is PCI-e 2.0, you will benefit from the SM-951 with NVMe's reduced transport overhead, if doable. Also, you should be aware that the graphics cards will have less bandwidth to the GPUs on that board (32 lanes) than something like the ASUS Rampage V Extreme (40 lanes).

You'll want to talk to John at DS; he handles the custom build configuration stuff.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:08am
Hi nofuture,

That is a wild system and you must have some special application. I think we would be interested in your planned use of the system?

I think your timing is off target for the new NVMe SSDs. I think you will need a PCIe-X4-3.0 for the SM-951 or the Intel 750 NVMe cards. There is also a Bios problem for these drives. Since DS has the Intel 750 listed maybe they have a Bios solution already. This is all new and possible fraught with problems. You may not be able to get the exact motherboard you want that will have an upgraded NVMe Bios. DS will take care of your special request for a fee. You can email John at [email protected].

Good luck with your system.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 19 Apr 2015 at 6:11am
nofuture View Drop Down

Quote nofuture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by 

You can do 3 GPUs, not 4...there are only 7 PCI slots in the chassis and each of the GPUs requires 4. You'd have to go with something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V2MP9924 in order to fit 4 cards. Getting watercooling into these chassis' will not be simple, it even possible; you may want/need to go with an air cooler for the CPU.

With the motherboard, you should check into seeing if there is any support for NVMe. Even though the interface is PCI-e 2.0, you will benefit from the SM-951 with NVMe's reduced transport overhead, if doable. Also, you should be aware that the graphics cards will have less bandwidth to the GPUs on that board (32 lanes) than something like the ASUS Rampage V Extreme (40 lanes).

You'll want to talk to John at DS; he handles the custom build configuration stuff.

Thanks for the chassis advice.   with the PLX controllers on the as rock motherboardwe should be good with lane count.   The video cards have so much RAM that the PCIe bus shouldn't be a bottleneck.   I have. a Intel p3700 SSD on hand but I would rather not use it if I can use the Samsung m.2 interface.   That way it can still be quad sli and also have the high SSD x 4 speed.

Edited by nofuture - 20 Apr 2015 at 5:18pm
nofuture View Drop Down

Quote nofuture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi nofuture,

That is a wild system and you must have some special application. I think we would be interested in your planned use of the system?

I think your timing is off target for the new NVMe SSDs. I think you will need a PCIe-X4-3.0 for the SM-951 or the Intel 750 NVMe cards. There is also a Bios problem for these drives. Since DS has the Intel 750 listed maybe they have a Bios solution already. This is all new and possible fraught with problems. You may not be able to get the exact motherboard you want that will have an upgraded NVMe Bios. DS will take care of your special request for a fee. You can email John at [email protected].

Good luck with your system.

Frank

I have an Intel P3700 SSD on hand. I haven't had problems with it. Only reason I am not using it or this build is so I can still make the system quad SI.   That's why I was looking at M.2 devices.    I had a lot of trouble getting those to work with the asus x99 deluxe.   You are right about all of this being so new that it is fraught with problems.

This is ffor a high net worth individual who Is creating a video distribution system in his home.   over 30 4K large displays throughout the home with content streaming to all of them at simultaneously.   Right now most content is served from a 72 tb NAS which has a 10 gigabit network interface.   He will have fiber soon. Not sure if he will get the 1'gigabit service or the 10 gigabit.   When he gets he the fiber he will want streaming from live sources as well.   

This machine is for content creation and game playing all in 4k@60hz. The game playing itself is a form of content creation in terms of streaming his sessions.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 6:01pm
You're going to get maybe two 2160p60 streams off of a machine like this. If you want to do video content, I'd suggest waiting...the hardware decode isn't up to snuff on the 970's, 980's, or Titan X's, only on the lower GTX 960's: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9152/futureproofing-htpcs-for-the-4k-era-hdmi-hdcp-and-hevc. The R9 300's should be the first GPU's capable of 2160p60 gaming and hopefully have full hardware decode.

To be honest, you'd probably be better off with a distributed system with remote maintenance rather than a centralized system.
 Post Reply Post Reply