FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$4K - $5K Config. Advice?

Post Date: 2015-02-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Olerong View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $4K - $5K Config. Advice?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 9:43am
Budget:
$4,000 - $5,000 (excluding mouse, keyboard, and monitor)

Expectations:
Able to support dual 3840 x 2160 monitors.

Usage:
Gaming; would like to run "ultra" settings on most graphic intensive FPS and MMO games being released within the next 1-2+ years. I am replacing a 5.5 year old Falcon Northwest Mach V.

Questions:
1. What advantages does the RAMPAGE V mobo offer over the V99 DELUXE? Is there any reason why I should go with the RAMPAGE V over the V99 DELUXE for this setup?

2. How is the integrated audio on the RAMPAGE V? I am using an Astro A40 7.1 headset right now. I know that mobo audio has improved over the past few years; any real need for the Sound Blaster Z?

3. Should I go with the 1050W Corsair HX1050 power supply, or will the EVGA 850 SuperNova suffice for this setup? Is there a different/better power supply I should consider?

4. Any thoughts on the system memory? Is 16GB enough? Any reason to go with Dominator over Vengeance?

5. Any other thoughts on how I can improve this build within the price range?

Specifications:
Configuration Code: 1101563

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Olerong - 10 Feb 2015 at 9:44am
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:05am
1. I saw no advantage myself, when looking at it. More drive ports I think, but you are not building a server.
2. Cant comment
3. I went with the 1050 for my order. I did that after realizing my current PC pulls 750 watts under heavy load. I did not want to be limited by PSU, and the cost difference isn't a lot consider the system price
4. 16 GB should be plenty for gaming, it's what I have now. I ordered 32 GB vengeance 2666 just in case. It was not a cheap upgrade
5. I can only suggest that the 5930 could be a waste of money. I ordered one as well, but after doing a lot of reading, I can't see the benefits. 40 lanes sounds like a good idea, but 16 lanes per card shows little to no benefit over 8 lanes per card. If you were going 3 way SLI, adding M.2 drives or otherwise need the lanes, the 5930 makes more sense. As for overclocking, I have seen no evidence the 5930 will overclock better. Perhaps the 5930 is more future proof.

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:07am
Note your system and mine are pretty similar and I could comment more, but I am waiting on mine due to the backorder.

You could consider a bigger SSD now that I think of it. You could consider adding an additional 1 TB drive and doing RAID 0 or RAID 1 ( performance, or data integrity in that order.) But that's not too important.

I could mention that my 1 TB drive on my current PC is 80% full. Lots of games, and music files I guess. 2 TB is always an option depending on your storage needs.

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 8:29pm
Ole I have that exact same build, except I chose to go with the 850 Watt PSU more than enough to power the computer and 2 GPU's now if your going for 3 or 4 GPU's than yes I can see the need for the 1050 Watt PSU. Trust me the 980s are very power efficient. Some of the older GPUs like the 780s are more power hungry, I used to run the GTX 485 and talk about a power hog I not only needed a 1200 Watt PSU but one capable of putting out 44 Watts per second instead of the usual 38.

The 980s are not going to be pushed that hard unless your looking to go to a 4K monitor and if you are I would recommend staying with the 1050 PSU and if you can swing it even going with a 3 980 Set up

Other than that change that is my build ... I chose the rampage only because the I have used one before and it was a know quality for me
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 9:51pm
Dual UHD displays gaming with "ultra" settings... you may want to look around at gaming benchmarks. For reference, I can do some UHD gaming with a GTX 970 FTW, but I have anti-aliasing turned way down. But some games, like Assassin's Creed Unity, I turn down to 1080p resolution because I can only manage 2160p at very low settings. You may need to look at a tri-or quad-SLI GTX 980 config for dual UHD displays, but I still wouldn't be hopeful...they still only have 4GB of VRAM on them. Dual GTX 980's will game on a single UHD display very well, however. (I'd personally advise you to look at getting a single bigger UHD display, than two, just my humble opinion)

1) Go with RVE if you want a quad GPU set-up or are planning on doing some extreme overclocking yourself (Deluxe MB is still very capable at overclocking, it just lacks some of the advanced features, like areas to read out voltages, etc., the RVE has). Otherwise, no benefit.

2) No need for discreet audio, you are correct with how on-board audio has immensely improved, as of late.

3) Either works, as stated by MJH and Kaelara

4) Vengeance should work until you get into extreme overclocking of the memory, where the additional heatsink area will help (but you'll want to remove the stupid light bar for better convection at that point). As for memory speed, it doesn't look like it makes much of a difference in Anandtech's recently posted review of DDR4 (with DDR3 comparisons). ExtremeTech followed up with further detail.

5) Only other thing is the open fan coolers on the GPU...while the Velox is a very open case, once those GPUs get under load I'm not sure how hot they'll get with two of them in there...Kaelara, can you comment on this? The reference coolers on the regular GTX 980's are a blower type that directs all hot air out the back of the case.

Edited by  - 10 Feb 2015 at 9:53pm
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by 

Kaelara, can you comment on this? The reference coolers on the regular GTX 980's are a blower type that directs all hot air out the back of the case.

I am using the Strix edition and Even with two cards I am not seeing a lot of heat from the exhaust. Right now the only game I have loaded is WoW. I am still unpacking from a move and will have to reload all my other games specifically Crysis and see what kind of numbers I can achieve.. WoW does not really put any burden on the GPUs' but Crysis even as old as it is will

I have had several Marathon WoW sessions 8hrs plus, including 25 man raids - all things my old laptop could not handle.. and even my older gamer would have struggled with.. and this new rig breezed right through it.. The fans keep the temps cool, and the exhaust air is down right room temp or colder suggesting that what heat is generated by the 2 980s is minimal at best.

As I said in another post the true test of this machine will be how it handles Texas summers. This is a big airy well ventilated case. DS has done a wonderfull job with cable management and keeping the case organized and for allowing max air flow to all the major heat generating components.

I agree if he really wants to go full 4K gaming he will need to go tri or Quad 980s in SLI or even better go with the Titan.

Edited by Kaelara - 10 Feb 2015 at 11:02pm
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 11:09pm
Yeah, I'd be interested in what Crysis does. It will still give the GPUs a run for their money with all of the settings turned up.

How often do the fans spool up? With my 970 FTW, it is pretty much whether I'm in a game or not dictates if the fans are on or not.

And rumor has it Titan II/Titan X will be announced in a month or two.
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 12:57pm
Thank you all for the replies. Just a few follow-up questions:

1. Any benefit to getting DDR4 2800 MHz memory over 2666 MHz memory from a gaming perspective?

3. Any value in upgrading to the Corsair Airflow Performance Edition chassis fans for this setup?

4. Did anyone get the OS Boost? Was it valuable at all for an 8.1 setup?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 1:07pm
1. Nope

3. Check out this thread

4. I'll let others chime in for this.
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Olerong

Thank you all for the replies. Just a few follow-up questions:

1. Any benefit to getting DDR4 2800 MHz memory over 2666 MHz memory from a gaming perspective?

3. Any value in upgrading to the Corsair Airflow Performance Edition chassis fans for this setup?

4. Did anyone get the OS Boost? Was it valuable at all for an 8.1 setup?

1. No not really save your money and put it elsewhere

2.Yes esp if you are choosing a completely Air cooled system the fans are large and pull more air in and out of the Case. Would also upgrade them to this if you are a state like Texas where heat can be an issue, even if you water cool... if the pump fails you still have the fans as back up

3. I did not upgrade my OS or boost it, did not see the need to or the benefit
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

Post Reply Post Reply