Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Epsilon748 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Epsilon748 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 485 laptop config
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 12:23am
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been looking for a new laptop for a while. Found digitalstorm through an Engadget post a while back and have been impressed with what I've seen so far.

My budget is $1200-1850, with that being the absolute maximum. It's a laptop, and I've already got an external TV tuner/logitech gaming mouse/speakers for when docked.

I really just want a laptop to replace the XPS m1530 in my sig. It's a nice laptop, but it's well outside it's prime for gaming. I'm a gamer, and I'm attached to Nvidia. I've got 3D vision on my home desktop and have pretty much been loyal for years. I need this laptop to do a few things: 1) needs to be a solid gaming machine, as I'm a gamer and my desktop has made me unlikely to want a low end mobile platform like I've got currently, 2) battery life needs to be better than what i've got, so ~2 hours or more. Basically I want a powerhouse that can also make do as a daily college/work machine as well.

I've put together a basic config below:

Display: 15.6" 1920 x 1080 FHD LED Backlit GlassView Display                               
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 6MB L3 Cache 2.0GHz
Memory: (4GB) 4096MB, PC3-10660/1333MHz DDR3 - 2 SO-DIMM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 485M 2GB GDDR5
Hard Drive: 500GB 7200rpm 2.5" SATA 300
Optical Drive: 8X Multi DVD+/-R/RW RAM Dual-Layer Drive
Wireless: Internal 802.11B/G/N LAN and Bluetooth Card
Cooling: Stock OEM Thermal Compound, CPU & GPU
Warranty: 3 Year Ltd. Labor and 1 Year Parts Warranty with 24/7 USA-Based Support

This was a laptop I'd found elsewhere for around $1800, which was the max end of my budget. Can anyone recommend something here that would be comparable? I was looking at the x15, but I have the sneaking suspicion from the similar config options that both are the same Clevo P150HM chassis. If so, does DS use the Clevo chassis that are found through other resellers?

How would this config work for mobile gaming? I don't like to have to compromise on graphics quality when I'm traveling, especially when used to my machine at home. Is it true that the 485m is similar to an underclocked desktop GTX 460?

I don't have the extra budget to swing a bluray drive or extra RAM, but it seems like both are things I can add myself down the road, correct?

Anyway, I appreciate any help. I've been out of the loop with mobile hardware for quite a while, and it'd be good to get some advice about the config/any other ideas.

Desktop: i7 920, 12gb DDR3, 2x GTX 470 SLI, 64gb SSD
Laptop: XPS m1530, 2.4ghz, 4gb DDR2, 8600GT
 Post Reply Post Reply