FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3x or 4x SLI

Post Date: 2014-06-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DolanRy11771 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DolanRy11771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 3x or 4x SLI
    Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 6:48pm
Right now I am debating whether to put 3 or 4 Titan Blacks in SLI for my build. I've heard that 4-way SLI is definitely not worth it because it is buggy and very few games make much use of a 4th graphics card. To the point that in some conditions you may actually get worse performance with four cards in SLI compared to just three.

Is there anyone who has had experience with this that can clarify this issue for me? I was recently told this and it made me question my initial decision to go with the 4 Titan Black SLI.

I plan to play on a 4K monitor, not multi-display, if that's relevant.

Edited by DolanRy11771 - 27 Jun 2014 at 6:49pm
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 5:29am
From what I have read for 4k resolutions you are best off with the AMD R9 290X in crossfire. 2 or 3 depending on your budget should be fine. The Nvidia's seem to have ~5% lower frame rates at 4k resolutions.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 12:14pm
Danjw1 is right, the 290X does definitely scale better with multiple GPU configs at 4K. What motherboard are you planning on going with?

You can actually go with a 295X2 and a 290X in the same rig and run them in crossfire. With this method, you only take up 4 slots instead of 6.

Here are my 295X2 + 290X Crossfire Benchmarks: 295X2 + 290X Benchmarks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 12:27pm
Good info on mixing 295x2 and 290x in same rig.

Who'd a thunk.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Good info on mixing 295x2 and 290x in same rig.

Who'd a thunk.

That's one of the beauty's of that card! Being able to add in a 290X (as long as the PSU can handle it) is a great option .

Quote DolanRy11771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 4:59am
Those are impressive benchmarks as far as scalability goes. Is that likely just a result of AMD having better multi-gpu support for their drivers? Definitely gives me something to consider.

I had previously been set on another nvidia card this time because I was looking forward to buying a g-sync monitor. Specifically the Acer 4k that was recently announced (still unreleased). From what I've heard, g-sync is pretty impactful for gaming by making the frame rate appear smoother by eliminating tearing.

I know that adaptive-synch is coming as well but it's a bit behind and I haven't seen an 4k displays announced that will use the technology (although I'm sure they will come).

The price difference between going AMD and nvidia are not my most pressing concern though. I'm also just generally concerned with the practicality of getting a 4th GPU. I understand the performance gains from adding a 4th will not be as significant with many games. That's ok as some games will still be able to make use of it (Crysis 3 seems to scale well with 4 GPUs) and it wont be a complete waste.

My main concern are situations in which having extra GPUs may result in worse performance and an overall less smooth gaming experience.

Edit: I am planning on going with the ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 for the motherboard and the 4960x for CPU. I have heard that this board is ideal for multi-gpu setups so I decided to go with that rather then a newer board with Devil's Canyon.

As a secondary question: is this the best RAM Digital Storm offers?

32GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Edited by DolanRy11771 - 29 Jun 2014 at 5:08am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 8:31am
I don't know what your time frame is for getting this system. But, X99/Haswell-E are coming in the second half of this year. And higher end Maxwell GPUs (as opposed to the 750 Ti) are expected in August from Nvidia. Just something you may want to consider.

Of course it bares saying there is always going to be the next big thing coming down the road (soonish). ;-)

Edit: Just did a quick search on the X99 release and it looks like July 20th: http://wccftech.com/intel-haswelle-x99-chipset-release-date-leaked-haswell-refresh-pentium/

Edited by danjw1 - 29 Jun 2014 at 8:34am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 9:12am
Originally posted by danjw1

Of course it bares saying there is always going to be the next big thing coming down the road (soonish). ;-)

Somewhere on these boards there is a quote, attributed to fstcvc:

"But if I keep waiting for the next best thing, I'll never have anything."

Ultimately, though, it's your choice.             
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Snaike

Somewhere on these boards there is a quote, attributed to fstcvc:

"But if I keep waiting for the next best thing, I'll never have anything."

Ultimately, though, it's your choice.             

I did mention that in my post. But, I thought it would be best to mention products that are expected soon(ish). This is going to be an expensive system and if waiting a few weeks or even until August is something he would like to do, he has the choice. I feel it is best that anyone buying something knows as much as possible.
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 6:36am
I think the next gen video cards may be a bit later.  I'm seeing Oct-Nov time frame:  http://wccftech.com/gtx-880-arrive-oct-nov/.  One question I do have, what would be the performance difference between the X99 platform and the Z97 4790K?  Is there any analysis or projections showing this?

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 30 Jun 2014 at 7:42am

Quote DolanRy11771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:02am

I don't know what your time frame is for getting this system. But, X99/Haswell-E are coming in the second half of this year. And higher end Maxwell GPUs (as opposed to the 750 Ti) are expected in August from Nvidia. Just something you may want to consider.

Edit: Just did a quick search on the X99 release and it looks like July 20th: http://wccftech.com/intel-haswelle-x99-chipset-release-date-leaked-haswell-refresh-pentium/

This is actually something I've been looking closely at. I kind of decided on the idea that there will always be something new and improved coming out around the corner and therefore I should just buy now with the plan of upgrading in the next year or two. On the other hand I did not see that July 20th was confirmed as the release date for X99 which is sooner than I expected. Gives me something to think about but I also don't like to keep flip-flopping on my decision to buy now or wait.

Something I am very curious about are the projected performance gains from the new X99/Haswell-E platform and DDR4. I also am more generally curious about whether performance while playing games is more CPU-limited or GPU-limited. If I upgraded one but not the other (at about equivalent expense), which one would have more of an impact on performance for gaming.

Ahh so many questions! Sorry. I wish I understood a bit more about this stuff.

EDIT: With slightly better reading comprehension I went over that article again and July 20th is NOT the release date of the Haswell-E and X99. Those release in September, which is closer to my original expectation. I will probably go with my current build then upgrade in a couple years. Gonna be a pricy upgrade though to replace the motherboard, RAM, and CPU at the same time.

Edited by DolanRy11771 - 30 Jun 2014 at 11:14am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:41am
I can't say for sure, testing will tell, but I doubt the newer 6/8 core Haswell E will do much extra for strictly gaming. It might allow higher overclocking for the enthusiast that want to push it if it has the better TIM which has been mentioned.   The faster, 50% better memory bandwidth with the DDR4 ram might help, but looks like an expensive way to go for a small increase in performance.    

But, I could be wrong and time will tell.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Jun 2014 at 11:43am
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:11pm
bprat22 pretty much covered everything. Quick note, 90% of games actually perform BETTER on a 4770K/4790K as opposed to a 4960X.

Quote DolanRy11771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Nav

bprat22 pretty much covered everything. Quick note, 90% of games actually perform BETTER on a 4770K/4790K as opposed to a 4960X.

The one thing that dissuaded me from going with a 4790k is the mother boards available for it at the moment are not ideal for big multi-GPU configurations. I've heard this is because with a 2011 board there are more PCIe lanes. Instead, the Z97 boards use a PLX (?) chip to give more lanes but also has the tradeoff of introducing a little bit of latency.

I am not that knowledgeable about this but this is what I've found with a bit of researching and asking around. My guess is that although benchmarks for a 3-4 GPU system would be better with the newer boards and the 4790k, that little latency introduced may negatively impact how smooth gameplay is overall. Maybe I am misinformed?

Are there any new boards that are compatible with the 4790k that don't have this problem?

Edited by DolanRy11771 - 01 Jul 2014 at 9:15am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 9:40am
I believe that Asus has updated all their Z87 motherboards to support the Devil's Canyon CPUs. They don't seem to intend to release a Z97 Maximus VII Extreme, but the Maximus VI Extreme (Z87) does support the 4790k; it does require a BIOS update.

Others have released Z97 motherboards that can support up to 4 cards:
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_XPOWER_AC.html#overview
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4980#ov
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme9/

Edited by danjw1 - 01 Jul 2014 at 9:47am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 9:54am
It is true that to get 4x sli with a Z87/Z97 chipset, you need the PLX chip.  The Z87/Z97 only have native 16 lanes to carry the info from cpu to gpus.   It does it by multiplexing, where the chip acts as a super fast switch to send 16 lanes of info across up to 40 lanes, allowing 4x cards to function.   The X79 has native 40 lanes of traffic , so no PLX chip is needed.   With the Z87 Maximus 6 extreme, you get, I believe, x8x16x8x8 in quad sli.   But that's Pcie 3.0 and will work fine.  As far as latency, yes, there has to be some just by the nature of multiplexing, but my understanding is that is is extremely small.    What helps make it small or not noticeable is the fact that in tri and quad sli setups scaling of each card past 2x sli makes the latency irrelevant.   If each additional card added another x2 , x3 etc performance, then maybe it would matter.

The X79 and X99 does have the 40 lanes in native, so i'm not sure if it makes all that much difference.  The X79 Rampage 4 gives you x16x8x8x8 electrcal to each card and the PLX gives you, on some, X8x16x8x8, so latency should be the only unknown, which I've read is very small. 

Maybe Nav , if he's tested it, can say.

Tough decision.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Jul 2014 at 9:58am

Quote DolanRy11771 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by bprat22

It is true that to get 4x sli with a Z87/Z97 chipset, you need the PLX chip.  The Z87/Z97 only have native 16 lanes to carry the info from cpu to gpus.   It does it by multiplexing, where the chip acts as a super fast switch to send 16 lanes of info across up to 40 lanes, allowing 4x cards to function.   The X79 has native 40 lanes of traffic , so no PLX chip is needed.   With the Z87 Maximus 6 extreme, you get, I believe, x8x16x8x8 in quad sli.   But that's Pcie 3.0 and will work fine.  As far as latency, yes, there has to be some just by the nature of multiplexing, but my understanding is that is is extremely small.    What helps make it small or not noticeable is the fact that in tri and quad sli setups scaling of each card past 2x sli makes the latency irrelevant.   If each additional card added another x2 , x3 etc performance, then maybe it would matter. The X79 and X99 does have the 40 lanes in native, so i'm not sure if it makes all that much difference.  The X79 Rampage 4 gives you x16x8x8x8 electrcal to each card and the PLX gives you, on some, X8x16x8x8, so latency should be the only unknown, which I've read is very small.  Maybe Nav , if he's tested it, can say.Tough decision.  Big%20Smile

Ah that's interesting. I wish I had some more concrete information or at least impressions from someone who has built and played on a similar rig. Perhaps I will go to my original build with the Asus Maximus VI Extreme Z87 + 4790k.The potential for lag was my main concern but if it is that insignificant of an amount then I could be better off going that way.

Sorry guys, I know I have too many questions. I'm even still am unsure about 3x vs 4x SLI/Crossfire haha. I suppose I could always just turn off one of the extra GPUs if it is somehow crippling performance on a particular game (you can do this, correct? Maybe in NVCP?)

Edited by DolanRy11771 - 01 Jul 2014 at 12:48pm
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:11pm
Here is the Asus product page for the Maximus VI Extreme: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/overview/

If you go to the "Support" tab then manual and document you can download the manual. It is 8x/16x/8x/8x in four card mode.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:22pm
I don't think an extra card would cripple performance very much, but if it did, that mobo does have a bank of 4 dip switches next to the ram slots to disable one or more Pcie slots. Now, they are there for troubleshooting a potentially bad card without tearing things apart, so not sure how it would behave in gaming.
 Post Reply Post Reply