32 BIT VISTA TO 64 BIT WIN7 PRO

Post Date: 2010-01-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 32 BIT VISTA TO 64 BIT WIN7 PRO
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 9:26am
ShockedHELP..PLEASE..

I am getting a new desktop with Windows 7 Professional operating system.

I own two laptops: one OS is 32bit vista Home Premium; the other is 32 bit XP Home Edition.

I also own an older Pentium 4 desktop running 32 bit XP Home Edition. This unit is a single core running at 2.9 Ghz.

I have run the Microsoft Win7 test software( will it run Win7?) on the Vista laptop only. The software says I can run Win 7 on this laptop and I already know the processor will run 64 bit software. At this time I can only access 3of the 4 gigs of memory on the laptop and would like to access it all.

My question(finally..lol): I've read/heard it is best to do a "clean" install of Win 7 and since I'm going from Vista Home Premium to Win7Pro; I can't simply upgrade; I MUST do a clean install. SO...How does one go about it?How do you delete one operating system, and install another operating system, when ,now, you have no operating system?

Online retailers sell kits with no operating system so I know it's possible. Do you back up all of the programs you want to save? Also is there a program that tests to see if individual programs are 64 bit compatable?

If I try the OS replacement and fail, can I use the recovery disk to reload my old OS? What about updates and drivers? The Microsoft Win7 testware shows the hardware with the laptop is 64 bit compatable but do you think it is worth the trouble to do this to create a home network? Is it possible to create the Win7 home network with different operating systems on the various computers?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm new to some of this stuff and really need the input. Thanks in advance for any help...JPT

Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 6:56pm
I think you can run a network with win7 and vista.

you can't save programs only media/personal files.

you will want to put in the win7 dvd and boot off of it and format the HDD and install win7.

you can restore from the recovery disk but that takes it back to the first day you got the pc, anything you put on it after that time will be lost.

remember you will need another win7 activation code then the one you are getting from DS.

litttle help here for networking xp/vista/win7

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Jan 2010 at 6:57pm
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 8:14am
ShockedDST4ME,

Thanks so much for the info and especially the "help with networks" URL.

The examples given there are almost exactly my setup, 3 different computers; all running different operating systems. So in fact you CAN run Win7, Vista, and XP on the same network.

This information will cut my work in half; you are REALLY good at what you do....Thanks again..JPTBig%20smile
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:17am
My pleasure and good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply