FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$2500 Budget - How Powerful ?

Post Date: 2010-06-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BrianSLA View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BrianSLA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $2500 Budget - How Powerful ?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 6:18pm
Hi All,

I am probably aiming for around $2500 ( give or take $100 ) for my powerful gaming rig. So far I think this is what I configured .... ticket # 412451

I am not too computer or tech savvy so I do not know how to cut & paste all the specs.

$2553

I am thinking HAF 932, the i7 960  3.2Ghz, the ATI 5970 2GB, the Air Stage 2 Noctua, the upgrade for Zalman Case fans, and a 1000 watt Power supply.

I have a 24 inch Samsung SyncMaster 245t LCD Display ( it was Maximum PC's choice at the time ).

I chose the upgraded case fans because I was hoping it made a difference in how high they can overclock it. BUT if it is way too loud like a loud weed whacker I might reconsider.

I do use Logitech G-35 Headsets almost all the time.

I play a lot of FPS like Crysis and Modern Warfare 2. I like shooters and like to make it as max res and beautiful as I can get with whatever I can get with the specs I have.

THANKS for any replies.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 6:36pm
some of the parts are not good choices so you will see them changed in my config, once you see something changed, even if its a lower model, understand it was changed because it offered the same performance as the higher model so there was no reason to go with the higher, none what so ever.

case fans will have nothing to do with your oc, your oc't temps mainly depend on the chip itself and the cpu cooler you put on it, the upgraded fans are loud, don't bother with them.

the 5970's vram max is actually 1GB, its 1GB per card in there.

Nvidia system:

Here you go Ticket# 412572 --- Price: $2673 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2673

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

Ati system:

Here you go Ticket# 412574 --- Price: $2463 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2463

Copy of Specifications:
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:44pm
don't go Zalman, they make a helluva racket. case fans overall won't make any difference in overclocking, unless you go with the ridiculously loud and powerful Delta fans, which aren't worth it, lol. anyways, any i7 right now besides the extreme series is based on the exact same chip, so go with the i7 920. if you're overclocking, i7 920 = i7 930, i7 965, i7 940, etc. the only reason to not go with the 920 is if you want some extreme overclocking with an Extreme series i7, or, if you're not overclocking and you want a higher speed.

for airflow, HAF 932 and the Noctua are the way to go.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
BrianSLA View Drop Down

Quote BrianSLA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 12:30pm
THANKS DST4ME & Ablahblah for the replies.

DST4ME,,, which system would you get of your two example systems ? Does the 480 Nvidia have heat issues or will I see major electricity bills by choosing the Nvidia system ? I am leaning for the Nvidia now and the SLI.

THANKS

-Brian
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 5:09pm
I'm an nvidia fan, and with more vram, better 3d and tessellation, I like the 480.

but with current games, it more preference then anything, unless you play games like gta4 that need more vram, in that case you will need to change ati system's gpus to the 5870 2GB version, so that you have enough vram for games like that, once you do that, the price will be the same or higher as the 480 sli.

heat should be fine from what I'm seeing on other forums and will soon start asking our own members what kinda temps they are seeing.

power should be like 80 to 100 bucks a year, from what I understand.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Jun 2010 at 5:11pm
BrianSLA View Drop Down

Quote BrianSLA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 6:48pm
THANKS DST4ME -

I just pulled the trigger & ordered. I was going back and fourth for a few days and last night I was going to go for your ATI build but switch out the 2 x 5870s for a single 5970 and save a few hundred bucks. The reason was PC GAMER & MaxPC both highly recommend the 5970 and say it beats a single GTX 480.... BUT then I today while thinking it over - I went for the dual GTX 480s.

I did some online research and I did wonder what the heat generated by 2 x GTX 480s in SLI in a HAF 932 will do to the other components but Rahjiv at Digital Storm reassured me plus the warranty with hopefully cover me / allay my fears.

Anyway I did choose your GTX 480 in SLI build but I decided to up the DVD burner to a Blu Ray player DVD burner plus I also added the free T-shirt !

Thanks Dude.

-Brian
BrianSLA View Drop Down

Quote BrianSLA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 7:54pm
Is everything good and is this a powerful rig ?

This is my final order:

System Configuration:
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Graphics Boost: - Not Available
Memory Boost: - Not Available
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Pre-Install Game: - Not Available
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)

Sub-Total: $2,753.00
SemperFuzz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 7:05am
I say buy just 1 GTX-480 but keep the bigger PS and then later on you can get another GTX-480 when the need arises
BrianSLA View Drop Down

Quote BrianSLA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 6:14pm
Hi Semperfuzz

I am not a techie so I would rather buy powerful and keep it a few years... Plus the game I am waiting for is CRYSIS 2 so I want a powerful rig and not have to worry about updating later.

-Brian
BrianSLA View Drop Down

Quote BrianSLA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm
Oh since I am already over the $3000 mark with this build I said ' what the heck ' and upgraded the the case to the HAF X for another $40.  Unfortunately it will delay my build time to the 18th because that is when they get their supply in.

-Brian
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 6:39pm
Definitely lose the free OS boost, I'm pretty sure it was a typo on DST's part. 
It'll add no noticeable performance increase and if you ever need any of the disabled services it's going to be a pain to figure out what was disabled and how to re-enable them (especially since you say you're not a techie).

Personally I'd upgrade to Windows 7 Professional to have Windows XP mode.
 Post Reply Post Reply