$1,200 to $1500 Gaming Rig/Need Help

Post Date: 2009-07-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Coda81 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1,200 to $1500 Gaming Rig/Need Help
    Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 1:44pm
Just wanted to get some opinions here for what I should do. I'm ready to either buy or build a desktop. I never built my own before and I'm not 100% sure if I want to build it myself or buy it. My budget can not exceed $1,500.00 (need a monitor too) and I want something that can run ArmA 2 on max settings. Is this achievable with a Digital Storm System? Should I just do it myself? Just would like some input. ThanksOuch
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 2:21pm
Hi,

A machine with a monitor that can play ArmA2 at max will be near to impossible to buy from DSO for 1500.00. My machine is an I7 920 OC'd to 3.3 with 6gig ram and a GTX 295 video card, etc etc. I play Arma2 and I have to turn some settings slightly down to enjoy the game thoroughly. Even building your own for that price would be very difficult. Sorry I can't be more of a help with out raising your limit a few hundred.
Grekill View Drop Down

Quote Grekill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Sodius

Hi,

A machine with a monitor that can play ArmA2 at max will be near to impossible to buy from DSO for 1500.00. My machine is an I7 920 OC'd to 3.3 with 6gig ram and a GTX 295 video card, etc etc. I play Arma2 and I have to turn some settings slightly down to enjoy the game thoroughly. Even building your own for that price would be very difficult. Sorry I can't be more of a help with out raising your limit a few hundred.

If you really believe that you cant build a computer with a monitor for under $1500 please go check out the gamespot forums you will be surprised.

Heck i could even show you a build it your self setup with a screen for under $1500.
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 8:24pm
I ignored the first response as I did some research and also received a lot of help from members over @ www.tomshardware.com. It's definitely possible to build a rig with what I'm looking for. You can easily go over budget, but with a few tweaks and shopping around it can be done. Any input you may have Grekill is welcome, I'm still not final on what I'm going to do as of yet. Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 8:42pm
you are not gonna be building a quality PC for that price, yes I can build you PC for that price but it won't be quality.

FYI who cares what BS tomshardware has to say? I left that forum 3 years ago cause I got tired of all the BS people pass out to others there.
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 9:08pm
I have no clue what your talking about because you absolutely can build a quality PC for around that price. I'm not looking to build a $4,000 space ship rig.

FYI I got way more information than I got here. If your going to be negative and ignorant you should just mind your business.
Jennings386 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jennings386 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 9:40pm
Wow.  Thats a pretty harsh stance to take when you came here for some help.  I think that what Sodius was saying in his first response was that a DSO rig in your price range would probably not do what you want. 

If you go the build-it-yourself route, I wish you all the luck.  You probably can build a system that you will be happy with for the money you want to spend.  I would just caution you to be a little bit more receptive of comments when you were the one coming here and asking for advice.

This is not the place to start fights simply because you were not told what you wanted to hear.
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 9:56pm
Excuse me? Yes I came here for help and received no such thing. If people want to speak honestly that's fine, they made there remarks as did I. Last time I checked you have the freedom of speech, and I was actually not starting any "fights". I don't understand how you can percieve it that way when this person is telling me they don't care about the BS I read about and making rude comments when I simply came here for advice or ideas. I'm not angry or upset that people here are not as helpful, was just stating a fact about the attention I recieved here versus other forums. You should think about what your saying before cautioning me "friend".
Schibetta View Drop Down

Banned

Quote Schibetta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 10:06pm
If you want to build it yourself, I can PM you a good build from Newegg. Building your own PC isn't hard, it's simply a bigger lego.

And 1,200 - 1,500 is a damn good range for a high end PC.

On top of my head...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133268

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Sli GTX 275, 6GB, HAF 932, i7 920.
Without OS and 20 bucks optical drive.

Total Fee: $1,423.92 , not including S&R

This'll run ArmA 2 on high with no problem. The HAF 932 is going to keep your rig nice and frosty. BUT REMEMBER TO KEEP A GOOD CABLE MANAGEMENT. As well, don't OC unless your willing to buy a cooler

Oh, FYI, GTX 275 on SLI beats GTX 295.

Edited by Schibetta - 22 Jul 2009 at 10:07pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 11:19pm
I don't know on what planet a high-end PC is made from pny GPU card, crappy gskill ram and gigabyte mobo.

not to mention using those low end parts your price is still $1423.92, thats without OS, and CPU cooler, with I don't believe a high-end PC has a speed of 2.66GHz.

@Coda81, we gave you some honest advise, same thing we would give to our friends and family, if you want to use low quality parts then go ahead but we don't' advise that.

you can call that ignorant or whatever you like but if you want a quality build then you need a bit more then $1500, if you want a headache down the road I believe Schibetta has pointed the road down that path.

but don't call our advise ignorant just because you don't like it, and nobody said anything about a $4000 spaceship, we were thinking more like $1700 not including monitor, exaggerations are ignorant.

and tomshardware is full of BS, I said it cause I know it cause I had been over there for a good year or so before I got tired of watching all the BS info and advise that is passed around there.

I can show you practically the same build that Schibetta has shown you but with quality parts and a 3 year warranty and an OS for about $1650, only difference is that it will have 3GB of ram but you can alway and easily add ram later, but keep in mind you don't have to build it, it comes with a 3 year warranty and has better parts.

If I didn't want to care about the quality of your build, I too can advise you on crappy parts that will cost under $1300, but I don't advise like that.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Jul 2009 at 11:28pm
Schibetta View Drop Down

Banned

Quote Schibetta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:28am

Offensive Material. User Banned.

Edited by Alex - 23 Jul 2009 at 1:30pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 1:20am
fanboy? only fanboy here is you:

here are your reviews of the parts for example:

I had to RMA 2 of these before a good one came in QA from GygaByte is not that good. in fact this one i could not get 12GB of ram working, i got up to 8GB, any more and the MB just dies. not a good card if you ask me.

No boot screen with working CPU, Memory, & Video Card. Board was dead. I Will not buy another Gigabyte again. Bought a P6T at a retail store and it booted the first time

After I received this motherboard and built my system, I checked and found that the BIOS was version F2. I checked for a new version and found that version F7 was available, so I updated the BIOS to version F7. After 6 weeks of use the BIOS is failing. Yesterday when I booted it up for the first time that day I received a message on my screen that said "Main BIOS Checksum Error", and then the BIOS auto-recovered itself back to the F2 version BIOS that it shipped with. After successfully re-flashing the BIOS with the F7 BIOS version, it worked correctly for several reboots, and then when I booted it up this morning it failed again! I am VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Have to RMA one bad stick. It takes a lot of tweaking to get these ram modules to perform to specs.
Mushkin from now on

One strip dead ... trouble shot one strip at a time NO PROBLEMS till the one dead was inserted in any sequence LOCK UP ... PACKAGING ONE DEAD with a kit seems to be standard practice from this manufacturer

Pass perfectly on MemTest but crashes on Everest after 5 mns. Updated bios to the latest version and still having issues.

PNY Does not stand behind products, in computer business order my product from dist. send in my personal card because of fan failure they do not honor my receipt? Come on guys a fan, I could have ordered a replacement fan and saved the shipping and hassle! Will not buy or sell another PNY product!

ya some real nice recommendations there, tell me are you gonna pay for this guys shipping and headache when these parts go bad?

second what does evga or other quality brands being better then the crappy ones you have listed have to do with DS? how am I a DS fanboy when I say that evga mobo is better then gigabyte? you will excuse me if I want this person to have parts that won't fail on him.

did I hurt your feeling by offering a better quality build? I'm sorry

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Jul 2009 at 1:33am
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 1:30am
I think your really defensive Coda81. You need to take 15 deep breaths. Wait 4 minutes before taking another, after that if you go to the right place I'm sure you can get what you want.
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 1:31am
Schibetta View Drop Down

Banned

Quote Schibetta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 2:33am
Edited due to offensive content.

Edited by Sarah - 23 Jul 2009 at 12:24pm
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 3:03am
wow dst4me does it again.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 3:04am
we don't need people like you around here anyways, you can't control yourself and you have no respect for the forum or people that are here.

you can quote all the negative reviews you want, still the parts you suggested are gonna have higher negative reviews and higher chance of failing.

you are recommending a gpu card that has a 3 year warranty I'm recommending a card that has a life time warranty, the gigabyte mobo has a 1 year warranty the EVGA mobo has a life time warranty, its a no brainer.

all I did was pointout what is wrong with those parts and suggest a build from DS which unlike those parts comes with a 3 year warranty.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Jul 2009 at 3:43am
XpubuX View Drop Down

Quote XpubuX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 3:10am
hey you ever get a pc from here dst4me.
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 7:47am
Listen, I wasn't trying to start a war here. I simply came for help and the only reason I said what I said is because I felt that your comment about Tom Hardware was ignorant. Maybe you did see a lot of BS over there, I can't speak on that. But I did get what I felt was some good advice for me to work off of and build ideas.

DST4ME, I would love to hear what you would recommend. I may be able to stretch my budget the extra that you mentioned above. I just don't want to end up in the $2k range. What I came for is exactly that, I just wanted advice and build ideas. So if it puts me over my budget, whatever, just show me what your talking about and explain to me why it's better.

Thanks
ivkarty View Drop Down

Quote ivkarty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 9:19am
why would somebody post a picture of some dude's ass !?!?""
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 9:37am
I don't know, but that was just a little extreme. lol
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 10:06am
G skill ram is good ram, Gigabyte MB are top notch.
nomec View Drop Down

Quote nomec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 10:25am
Wow, dude... someone needs to edit that guy's post.  Funny the things people will say in anonymity behind a computer screen.
QX6850 @ 3.33ghz
Nvidia 680i A1
4gb pc1066 RAM
2x GTX 275s
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 10:30am
You  are right about that, he took it too far with those comments. Race has nothing to do with what we are talking about here, and not for nothing that picture is disturbing. I'm glad the current posts are on page 2 now, that's for sure. 
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:11am
Originally posted by nomec

Wow, dude... someone needs to edit that guy's post.  Funny the things people will say in anonymity behind a computer screen.

Didn't take much to rub through "schibetta's" veneer and see what he's all about. Censored   Personally, anybody posting something as disgusting at this pic should be banned from the forum...  As far as "funny" what people will say behind the anonymity of a computer screen...that's not exactly the word I had in mind (but, I know what you mean).  Clean up isle 6 (scratch that..page "1" of this post/topic). Big%20smile
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:25am
I don't know, I just wanted to possibly build/buy a good gaming pc for under $2k, I have no idea what's going on now Confused
sjjohns23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sjjohns23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:27am
I believe you can find negative reviews about any brand name parts if you look around.  No manufacturer operates at 100% efficiency and if they did everybody would use them. 

As far as Gigabyte MB's are concerned you can take a stroll over to this forum
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ and I guarantee they will recommend the P45 chipset for overclocking any kind of LGA 775 compatible chip. 

Anyways that's neither here nor there.  There's nothing wrong with liking a good quality product and a company like DSO that obviously stands behind their computers. 

Ashenra View Drop Down

Quote Ashenra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:33am
  wow Schibetta !! How really REALLY mature ! Your post is offensive in so many ways You SHOULD be Banned !
  Btw -- If you get a reply from DST4ME and bother to do your homework I am sure you will see that he offers very good advice on systems from Digital Storm. After all these are Digital Storm Forums ! And if you are not a fan of DS Systems why are you on this forum anyway ? Wacko   I am sure everyone is welcome here with config questions but to Dismiss anyone here as a fanboy is just screwy.  Just my 2 cents -- this post is just a mess.
There are only Two choices : Get Over It or Get Used To It
Semper Fi
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Coda81

Listen, I wasn't trying to start a war here. I simply came for help and the only reason I said what I said is because I felt that your comment about Tom Hardware was ignorant. Maybe you did see a lot of BS over there, I can't speak on that. But I did get what I felt was some good advice for me to work off of and build ideas.

DST4ME, I would love to hear what you would recommend. I may be able to stretch my budget the extra that you mentioned above. I just don't want to end up in the $2k range. What I came for is exactly that, I just wanted advice and build ideas. So if it puts me over my budget, whatever, just show me what your talking about and explain to me why it's better.

Thanks

I'm not picking sides in the $1500 debate...but, I want to say I found your change of tact (with this post) refreshing--someone of lesser character might have posted an obscene pic and been gone.  Taking a step back and another look...is seldom easy--I tip my hat to you for trying.

Reading some of the posts in this forum...remind me of the story of four blind men who are asked to describe the thing they can only touch and not see.  Each has an idea of what the entire elephant must be like...but, coming at it from four different directions--their stories are quite different.  My point is...it's difficult to get a real "feel" for a situation (or anything else) in a short time.  While DST4Me's comments may seem pointed, harsh, lacking in deplomacy...you'll find he's right FAR more than he's wrong (yes, he's faliable...he'll even tell you so on a good day).   Now, numbers may not mean much...but, you don't rack up 13,000+ posts (in a year) talking to yourself--somebody is listening. Pinch

One other thing...in case I hadn't mentioned it...welcome aboard.   I think you'll find we have a lot of the same traits here as any other dysfunctional family...then again, some days are worse Smile Smile

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 23 Jul 2009 at 11:36am
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:45am
I'll be honest, I don't know anything at all about overclocking. I'll definitely look around this site though, I'm sure whatever I end up with I can get good info from there. Thanks.

I'm sure they are from what I've seen looking around on the website here. It just seems I may be able to stretch my dollar a little further by doing it myself. The only problem for me is it's a little intimidating, but I guess I'm up for the challenge if I can get a better deal doing on my own. I also agree that no matter what, every company is going to have some negative reviews, it's just the way it is.

I guess my biggest issue is also figuring out exactly what is compatible with what and if it makes sense to mix and match certain components. I would consider myself somewhat computer savvy, but I'm not as educated as some others are either. I mean I can Google my brains out and look on Newegg and all that all day, but I don't accomplish much cause my brain starts melting with all the options.
Coda81 View Drop Down

Quote Coda81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:58am

[/QUOTE]

I'm not picking sides in the $1500 debate...but, I want to say I found your change of tact (with this post) refreshing--someone of lesser character might have posted an obscene pic and been gone.  Taking a step back and another look...is seldom easy--I tip my hat to you for trying.

Reading some of the posts in this forum...remind me of the story of four blind men who are asked to describe the thing they can only touch and not see.  Each has an idea of what the entire elephant must be like...but, coming at it from four different directions--their stories are quite different.  My point is...it's difficult to get a real "feel" for a situation (or anything else) in a short time.  While DST4Me's comments may seem pointed, harsh, lacking in deplomacy...you'll find he's right FAR more than he's wrong (yes, he's faliable...he'll even tell you so on a good day).   Now, numbers may not mean much...but, you don't rack up 13,000+ posts (in a year) talking to yourself--somebody is listening. Pinch

One other thing...in case I hadn't mentioned it...welcome aboard.   I think you'll find we have a lot of the same traits here as any other dysfunctional family...then again, some days are worse Smile Smile

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Zardoz for saying that. I didn't want to come here and cause a huge ruckus that's for sure.

And I am absolutely willing to listen to what DST4ME suggests, like I said I came here looking for help, whether it meant me buying my next PC from here or not. I just figured a community based around gamers/gaming pc's I should be able to get some help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:25pm
as I mentioned before gskill and gigabyte both have higher failure rate and lower warranty. I know nobody is a 100% but gskill and gigabyte have some low ratings compared to others, if I was going to build my own system I would never use those brands and I know many of you would not either..

@Coda81, I will recommend the build from DS, due to the fact that you get a 3 year warranty (you can raise this higher if you like)and the fact that the parts used are also better parts that have longer warranty:

Here you go Ticket# 311920 --- Price: $1802 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $1652

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: XFX X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 3GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

now this build can be upgraded to do sli in future if you like, if you want to oc it, it will run you another $100.

or you can look at the prebuild Best Bang for Buck which you can view here, its for $1411, this build tho can't do sli in the future.

keep in mind we are giving you help, we unlike other forums tho, are not just gonna recommend whatever to you, we recommend to you as we recommend to our family, aka quality

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Jul 2009 at 12:25pm
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:27pm
I took care of the offensive post, lets have everyone remember to try and keep it friendly here. We are all out to do the same thing, and thats provide everyone with high quality computers. =)
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

Jennings386 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jennings386 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:29pm
Thank  you Sarah
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:38pm
I don't think any of us were not friendly here, it was Schibetta who took it to different path.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>